• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Schaublin 70-CF lathe

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Good to know you have three phase, that makes it easier (no question of the VFD's being adequate) Like Tom noted the solution is a simple as a small three phase transformer feeding the machine and everything will work perfectly. You may (likely will) have to change out the motors to something CSA/UL, but let an inspector tell you that.

I know people the Toronto area that do inspections and motor control work but sorry not in BC. Keep us posted, its a real beauty you have there.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
VFDs are indicated at 380v - 480v so unlikely they can also run at 240v - at least not supported by the label.

Also its not that easy, you can easily change motor wires - but then you need to deal with all magnetic switches for each motor. These may or may not have the amp range and may have coil voltage of 400v or some control voltage. If control voltage you need to make sure control transformer has the right taps. It looks like there is a transformer that supports 230v and 400v - but not sure what it controls. Sometimes these guys control other electronics not magnetic switches coils. I.e. it all needs to be looked at whatever you can run at other voltage.

I see what your saying, i think a guy needs to look at every option before spending the bucks. None of us can say for sure with the information provided what the best course of action is, maybe everything in that box is capable of 230 and he can just re-wire the motors, maybe not, I do see that the 24v transformer is rated for 230, so that leave the mag switch and the vfd's

But maybe new vfd's (if reqd) is more costly than a transformer, and assuming they are ok with a transformer that's the way to go

Sometimes guys will spend extra to not run a transformer, orders of magnitude extra (hello Calgary airport)

The op should consider the options, talk with his boss, and come up with a game plan

csb70

Update: I had an estimator from a very reputable electric company come over to provide an estimate the other day. He seems to think it should be a reasonably painless process. He indicated that the two motors operate off a VFD inside the electrical cabinet. In essence, the 3P 400V feeds the electrical cabinet which then sends out the required power to the motors. He believes a transformer to provide 3P 400V should cost me less than 1K and less than $500 for the wiring. He also indicated that because everything in the electrical cabinet already has the CSA and UL decals, the motors are fine with the CE decal. I also received further word from SCHUABLIN that they have shipped a large number of lathes to North America and have never heard of a single problem with their use in Canada or the US. He also mentioned their engineers design them to work in all countries. I am still waiting for the final quote from our new electrician but things are looking good. My insurance company also stated that as long as it is wired properly and an electrical permit was pulled and approved then we are covered in the unlikely event the lathe causes damage. Thanks for the input from all and I feel much better now.
I'll post back when it is actually installed, and operational and the city has passed the electrical inspection.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update: I had an estimator from a very reputable electric company come over to provide an estimate the other day. He seems to think it should be a reasonably painless process. He indicated that the two motors operate off a VFD inside the electrical cabinet. In essence, the 3P 400V feeds the electrical cabinet which then sends out the required power to the motors. He believes a transformer to provide 3P 400V should cost me less than 1K and less than $500 for the wiring. He also indicated that because everything in the electrical cabinet already has the CSA and UL decals, the motors are fine with the CE decal. I also received further word from SCHUABLIN that they have shipped a large number of lathes to North America and have never heard of a single problem with their use in Canada or the US. He also mentioned their engineers design them to work in all countries. I am still waiting for the final quote from our new electrician but things are looking good. My insurance company also stated that as long as it is wired properly and an electrical permit was pulled and approved then we are covered in the unlikely event the lathe causes damage. Thanks for the input from all and I feel much better now.
I'll post back when it is actually installed, and operational and the city has passed the electrical inspection.
well?

I wish I could just find one w12 mounted drill chuck, and a w12 to er16 adapter so I can get my mill working

buckbrush

I have a Schaublin hand screw machine 70. It has a 380v 3 phase 50 hz motor, I run it on 480v 60 hz, it works fine. 380v 50 hz is about the same as 480v 60 hz in regard to volts per hz.

‘’I have run 380 volt machines on 208 3 phase as well, it also works fine. You get less than rated hp however.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have a Schaublin hand screw machine 70. It has a 380v 3 phase 50 hz motor, I run it on 480v 60 hz, it works fine. 380v 50 hz is about the same as 480v 60 hz in regard to volts per hz.

‘’I have run 380 volt machines on 208 3 phase as well, it also works fine. You get less than rated hp however.
yeah my chipmaster lathe has a 440v motor and can run off a VFD with 240v by setting the VFD baseline hertz to 29hz.

Have you been able to find enough collets for your lathe, how about other tooling?

buckbrush

yeah my chipmaster lathe has a 440v motor and can run off a VFD with 240v by setting the VFD baseline hertz to 29hz.

Have you been able to find enough collets for your lathe, how about other tooling?
It has metric f-16? To 13mm max, several turret tools, ludvic Lowe die head, a couple of accessories I cannot identify.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In my experience not all electricians know or have experience with motor control systems
-- oh, yes +1.
He believes a transformer to provide 3P 400V should cost me less than 1K and less than $500 for the wiring.
That is more like it. Add 1-1.5 hours electrician time for the certification check. Sounds like you have a great solution...