• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

SB9 reverse threading

A VFD driven motor is also an improvement cuz they can be reversed on the fly
With a threaded spindle nose, that will send a chuck off on a journey. Had it happen to a friend of mine once, just can't remember if it was myself or I, but I don't think it was me.....:rolleyes:
The three of us hang out quite often, we used to spend a lot of our free time getting into mischief together , now we're just getting too old. :(

Garyt

"Just a beginner" and "threading a blind hole without a relief" are not compatible statements. Especially not cutting metric threads on an imperial lathe..... A lathe crash or broken tools will be the guaranteed outcome of that setup. When you reach the point where you have the experience to be able to do that, you won't need a video.... ;)

Just sayin......

A hand crank on the spindle would be my advice.

A VFD driven motor is also an improvement cuz they can be reversed on the fly.
I think it is important to step outside your comfort zone in order to expand that zone to do new things.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
With a threaded spindle nose, that will send a chuck off on a journey. Had it happen to a friend of mine once, just can't remember if it was myself or I, but I don't think it was me.....:rolleyes:
The three of us hang out quite often, we used to spend a lot of our free time getting into mischief together , now we're just getting too old. :(
You get old enough and mischief is drinking coffee when you don't know where the nearest bathroom is.

Ironman

Ultra Member
He was the guy I was referred to as the, quote "The guy I want to talk to" re: lathe chucks. If he doesn't know the product on the shelves, he has no business taking calls, Saturday or not. The world doesn't stop turning because it's the weekend. I even get not knowing the runout, or possibly the size/thread of the drawbar bore, although he could have found out that w/ a bolt or tap if he really wanted to. That's what I would have done if I'd taken the call. It's called customer service. He made zero effort. Not knowing there's even a drawbar bore? Their problem, not mine.

Had a look at all 4 of my chucks. Don't see a relatively easy way to do it.
Most people who work there could and probably have, worked in a grocery store. You are expecting too much. If you went instore you would see what I mean. No one has trained them in machining tools. Princess used to be worse than that by far, but about 10 yrs ago they started to turn that around, and now know their product area and where to find things

JustaDB

Ultra Member
You are expecting too much.
I expect people who work in retail to know their product line, no matter how broad. Period. If they don't, I can't be bothered & won't be back. He never offered to ask anyone else, nor did he offer a callback. Again, that's customer service. That said, I'm willing to give newbs the benefit of the doubt. This guy wasn't a newb.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Not necessarily. A VFD can be programmed to specific acceleration and deceleration rates which should reduce that risk.

But I still think that a chuck lock is the best solution.

trevj

Ultra Member
I expect people who work in retail to know their product line, no matter how broad. Period. If they don't, I can't be bothered & won't be back. He never offered to ask anyone else, nor did he offer a callback. Again, that's customer service. That said, I'm willing to give newbs the benefit of the doubt. This guy wasn't a newb.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but...wow! With expectations like that, you are destined to frustration and anger, I figure.

Better to enjoy it when it DOES happen, than to experience the frustration and anger that comes from expecting it all the time! That sh!t will POISON you!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
That sh!t will POISON you!
That "shit" means only people who provide good customer service get my hard earned $$. I get great satisfaction walking out of brick & mortars or hanging up phones on places that do not provide good customer service. Rather than poisoning me, it's very cathartic. There are places of business or brands that pissed me off decades ago. I've never been back.

Why would anyone accept anything less?

trevj

Ultra Member
That "shit" means only people who provide good customer service get my hard earned $$. I get great satisfaction walking out of brick & mortars or hanging up phones on places that do not provide good customer service. Rather than poisoning me, it's very cathartic. There are places of business or brands that pissed me off decades ago. I've never been back.

You are destined to be disappointed then, IMO.

It sounds to me like you will spend your whole life trying to find what is not out there.

As to what "that sh!t" is, it's not about what the service staff of various stores is, but about the reaction to your expectations, which are destined to make you more miserable than you have to be.

Ironman

Ultra Member

Well, the upside of that is that you are saving yourself a pile of money you would have spent.:p

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@JustaDB - from threading speed, how for does the carriage travel after the off button is pushed?
When in forward it would take some experimenting while doing some threading but then you know when to hit the off button to avoid crashing. You would still need a bit of a safety zone but if the wind down is consistent it may only be 10 or 20 thou. Also DoC will affect the wind down time, I don't know by how much on your machine but that's where the experimenting comes in.
At least this way you don't have to worry about the chuck coming loose and the chances of a crash have been considerably lessened.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
You are destined to be disappointed then, IMO.

It sounds to me like you will spend your whole life trying to find what is not out there.
Not in the least. There are lots of stores out there w/ excellent staff who, if they don't have an immediate answer, will get one for you. I spend money there.

As to what "that sh!t" is, it's not about what the service staff of various stores is, but about the reaction to your expectations, which are destined to make you more miserable than you have to be.
My expectations in that department are pretty modest: find me an answer to my questions. If that is such an overwhelming issue, they have no business being in business.

trevj

Ultra Member
Not in the least. There are lots of stores out there w/ excellent staff who, if they don't have an immediate answer, will get one for you. I spend money there.

My expectations in that department are pretty modest: find me an answer to my questions. If that is such an overwhelming issue, they have no business being in business.
Meh. My life is apparently a lot happier than yours. I don't have to constantly keep a running track of who is or isn't worth shopping at, I just educate myself, so I don't NEED any training or babysitting by the store staff to make my decisions.

If they have, or do not have, the product I need or want, is pretty much as far as my expectations of the wage monkeys goes. Expectations are frequently exceeded, but I don't have any knots in my face 'expecting' that the guy stocking shelves is supposed to know all there is about all the products he lords over! LOL!

trevj

Ultra Member
About that... Maybe that's a hard no, thanks! LOL! Unless I need it as a fishing weight! Already got a Myford in the basement, as my 'indoor' lathe. Still trying to find a reason to pull my Colchester Master 2500 inside too!
I wanted to revisit this, because I think I came off sounding like I was dissing on the 7xXX lathes. I bought my first Myford lathe when the very leading edge of the MiniLathe invasion was beginning, for somewhat LESS than what the Canadian retailers that actually WERE carrying them, were charging.

Stateside, you often saw listings for $299, occasionally less, but the Canadian side retailers were pushing prices into the $1200-$1500 range. Same machines, far different pricing! Given the chatter on the newsgroups that was constantly about how to make one work after you got it, it didn't take me long to figure than if I was going to have to do some work, I may as well start with a lathe that was NOT actually banged together from the cheapest components and labor available. Add the ready supply of British literature, and a (at that time) more or less, fifty+ years experience pool of happy owners, to the equation, I figured I was better off buying the used machine, and I was, I think! Still a huge fan, bought and resold about a dozen lathes since I got that first Myford, and still have one now, with around a 30 years slow collection of additional bits and bobs to round out the capabilities it has. It is going to take a REALLY nice lathe, on par with a Weiler Primus or Schaublin 135 to convince me to see my Myford off, though if the right 'better' Myford comes along, I would be pretty tempted to upgrade, too!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
My life is apparently a lot happier than yours.
You've noted this more than once. My life is not unhappy. Quite to the contrary, I avoid introducing the negatives (such as poor customer service) into my life. Welcome to the club.

I don't have to constantly keep a running track of who is or isn't worth shopping at,
We all have our standards. You may be willing to reward poor service. I'm not.

I just educate myself, so I don't NEED any training or babysitting by the store staff to make my decisions.
In the near absence of any information available anywhere on their website (or anywhere else) on that particular product, that's precisely what I was trying to do. As far as your insult about requiring "training or babysitting" is concerned, I was the one babysitting the guy on the phone. I knew more about his product than he did, as indicated in my OP.

...I don't have any knots in my face 'expecting' that the guy stocking shelves is supposed to know all there is about all the products he lords over!
I don't expect a CSR to have everything on each product committed to memory (although it's a pleasant surprise when they do). I do, however, expect a CSR to at least make an attempt to answer any question I have, accessing other CSRs, searching online, reading documentation, whatever. In the case of the runout, as I noted, I get it. The info is not available. However, he made no effort to find out what the drawbar thread pitch/diameter was, despite the fact that he had the piece in his hand. In his shoes, I would have.

I've had enough of this.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@JustaDB Your experience of customer experience at Calgary KMS is not unique.
- I've complained to two separate department heads, and they named several people that shouldn't be working there. The main problem is with the general manager. I got the impression that these bad employees are 'protected'...

Not one of the guys in the back corner - welders, metal lathe, etc has any trade experience at all. basically all but one are fast food level people. Recently they hired a guy with TIG experience, but he didn't seem too happy to be working there.

trevj

Ultra Member
@JustaDB Your experience of customer experience at Calgary KMS is not unique.
- I've complained to two separate department heads, and they named several people that shouldn't be working there. The main problem is with the general manager. I got the impression that these bad employees are 'protected'...

Not one of the guys in the back corner - welders, metal lathe, etc has any trade experience at all. basically all but one are fast food level people. Recently they hired a guy with TIG experience, but he didn't seem too happy to be working there.
Do you think you would be happy to work at retail wages? Y'know, in the event you actually had the skills, experience, or knowledge to draw upon, as he does, apparently? Seems pretty much like a stop-gap job, for an experienced guy! In his spot, I'd likely spend about half every work day sending out applications to places that paid half decent!

Meh. Like I said, I can't get worked up enough to complain about the folks that have what I want, not really knowing about the stuff, and I certainly can't see myself ranting about it online, as all that does, is, well, pretty much nothing... Other than making people think you have too many choices available, and too much time on yer hands. Canadian Retail is too small a world to go around peeing and moaning about how terrible it is that (fill in the blank). If they have what you want or need, and it is there, instead of weeks worth of slow boat from China to get, for a reasonable price, I figure it isn't that hard to check out the details MYSELF, with the part in hand, to determine if it suits my needs.

If crap service is all it takes to get scratched off the "List" of people I would do business with, I figure I'd have to move often, or spend increasing (and frustrated) times trying to both FIND new places that have what the other place does (at least, until some wage monkey THERE 'screws it up' for THAT place too, or, live without. It's not so much about "rewarding them for poor service" as it is about not letting the server's ignorance, launch me into a whiny hissy fit, really.

Sorta along the same lines as accepting the limitations of some equipment, and just shrugging, and getting on with it. I would suggest, instead of trying to make a silk purse outta the sows ear, by trying to run a threaded chuck backwards, without being willing to simply muckle on to it and modify it so it can be locked. Yeah, it's gonna take some permanent alterations. Drill and tap a hole. Add a set screw. Mill a flat on the spindle to lock it in to. Or you can make a part time job out of finding a way to make it work without, but... that takes away from actually getting the end result you wanted, done... sorta like the apprentices I mentioned above.
The easy way, is to understand the limitations (both staff and equipment), and make the best use possible of both. Work within the limitations, and you get a lot more done, than you do complaining abut same!