• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sawing Job

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey guys
Can you cut a mostly straight line? If so I have a good paying job for you. I have this 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" thick aluminum plate. I just want to cut it into four 2'x4' pieces. If you have any good ideas on how to cut it let me know. I don't have a machine that will handle a sheet this big. The cut must be straight and relatively smooth. I will machine these after they are cut.

IMG_20151019_171155014[1].jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
5x10 cnc router - is that you Kyle? I didn't know you had a router on your plasma table at protospace?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@Janger I think the metal cutting circular saw is a great idea. They are not cheap but I'll keep my eye out for one. Kris and I had talked about cutting this plate up with a plasma and I don't know how good of an edge we will be able to get I'll keep thinking about that. @kylemp the CNC router table sounds great how much to get those plates cut and the edges rounded off with a router bit? I am using these plate to make some heavy duty carts so he can totaly drill a few holes in each to bolt the pieces down.

kylemp

5x10 cnc router - is that you Kyle? I didn't know you had a router on your plasma table at protospace?
I don't have one, its a different guy I know who has one.

@Janger I think the metal cutting circular saw is a great idea. They are not cheap but I'll keep my eye out for one. Kris and I had talked about cutting this plate up with a plasma and I don't know how good of an edge we will be able to get I'll keep thinking about that. @kylemp the CNC router table sounds great how much to get those plates cut and the edges rounded off with a router bit? I am using these plate to make some heavy duty carts so he can totaly drill a few holes in each to bolt the pieces down.
I sent you a message with his information.

Hey what about my plasma cutter? I could try it if you had a scrap.
Plasma cuts aluminum like shit, unfortunately.. and I imagine 1/2" would be waaaaay worse than anything I've seen in the past (I've only done 1/8").

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I saw this blade at my local Rona. This aluminum cutting blade is only about $40, so I will give this a try before I do anything else. Thanks for the email kylemp. Hopefully a skill saw will do it. Any tips @Jwest7788 ? I remember you had talked about cutting metal with your skill saw do you think this will work? I'm skeptical and very protective of my sheet of aluminum:p

image.jpg

Kris Jensen

I saw this blade at my local Rona. This aluminum cutting blade is only about $40, so I will give this a try before I do anything else. Thanks for the email kylemp. Hopefully a skill saw will do it. Any tips @Jwest7788 ? I remember you had talked about cutting metal with your skill saw do you think this will work? I'm skeptical and very protective of my sheet of aluminum:p

View attachment 279
Clamp a piece of angle to the sheet so you can ride the angle along the cut

kylemp

Those are for miter saws I think.. I think there is something about rake of the blade, but you might want to find somewhere with a good return policy and get a metal cutting circular saw, that seems like it could be a little sketchy on 1/2".. 16ga would be a different story.

I still don't get what you are doing, or why you're using 1/2" aluminum..

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator

View attachment 279
Actually this was going to be my recommendation if trying to accomplish on the cheap. Metal cutting blade on regular (wood) circular saw.
Here are a couple guys who did the same to steel (proof of concept)

My recommendations are:
  • Use a saw guide to ensure a perfectly straight cut. This will also avoid binding the blade, which I assume can only be bad news.
  • Use a cheap / sacrificial circular saw for this task. I have one you can borrow if you want.
  • If you can find a way to make the saw spin at 1/2 speed, that would be ideal, but otherwise, keep in mind that each tooth of the blade is going to be super far exceeding normal feeds/speeds (speeds in particular are waaaay to fast, but will get the job done)
  • Since it's carbide on aluminum, and because of the above noted speed beeing too quick, do what you can to avoid chip welding (aluminum cutting fluid)
It's interesting actually, alot of woodworking tools can be used on steel pretty well. Saw blades, router bits, etc. all come with carbide insert cutters, so if you work smart, they can be used!

And be sure to take a video and pics of this one, I want to see how it goes!

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I had a look at the blade I bought. It does have a 5 degree negative rake angle and it does say for miter saws only. I decided to give it a shot. Here is the video

It is a little slow but it worked fine. I really don't think I have the HP required to run a blade with positive rake.I'm happy seems to work fine.

kylemp

Wow, I wouldn't have tried that. Seems sketchy but it seemed to work for you and pretty damn fast. What are you doing with these things again?