Sanding, grinding, buffing

trlvn

Ultra Member
I need to reorganize my shop. I think I want to have a workspace dedicated to sanding, grinding and buffing due to the abrasive grit. Space is limited.

I currently have a standard 6" bench grinder, a 1 X 30 belt sander and an old 6" grinding arbor that runs at slower speed than the other grinder. I currently don't have enough bench space to have more than one machine set up at a time. The machines not in use tend to live on the floor! (Planning to get another storage rack with totes, etc, to improve storage in the shop. But that chews up floor space, too.)

Lots of us have tight space constraints. Any creative solutions you can share would be gratefully accepted.

Craig in Oakville

JuryriggedSean

A couple of ideas. Could you mount your grinder and belt sander on a sort of lazy susan to rotate?

Also you could mount your arbor over the other grinder vertically. There's many ideas on Google images if you search "multiple grinder stand". I can't post links yet but best of luck.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I once built a multi-purpose stand for these exact things. The pedestal was 4" steel tube. Each of the grinder, buffer, sander had a piece of plate and tube stub mounted on them. You just put the machine you wanted into the pedestal, tightened a bolt, and you were in business. The two machines not being used mounted on arms near the base, which increased the weight near the floor and made it more stable. @JuryriggedSean's idea is good as well...just watch the weight distribution if you are not bolting to the floor.