• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sand blasting? Bead blasting?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’ve got two metal railings - about 4’ long 2.5’ high. The typical 60s front steps decorative type. They are covered in too much old paint. I’d like to get the old paint blasted off and repaint them. I’m a little worried about lead paint too since they are old. So I don’t want to attack it with messy chemicals or try to sand it off. Any ideas on where or who to get this done safely and reasonably? I can paint it I guess I just need help with the paint removal.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Some place just south of the picknpull on barlow (head south on the access road to pnp) has a self serve outdoor sand blasting deal, cannot remember the name but it was something like $20 an hour. Bring ear plugs, the helmet puts pressurized air in your ear

kylemp

I'm pretty sure you're talki g about consolidated compressor. They're much more than 20/hr.. I think more like 80/hr but I've used their guns and they rip a lot of material off fast.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Some place just south of the picknpull on barlow (head south on the access road to pnp) has a self serve outdoor sand blasting deal, cannot remember the name but it was something like $20 an hour. Bring ear plugs, the helmet puts pressurized air in your ear
Here it is in photo.
9516 40 St. SE, Calgary 1713216D-FE2C-4350-B584-45F63FF5F165.png 3566655E-0DEE-4815-BE83-86EAE411EDE6.png 786C2F96-BC45-40FB-A877-29A5529491A4.png

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I did my front stair rail about 5 years ago. Had it sand blasted and powder coated. Still looks really good.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I use Consolidated Compressor a lot. Great place. If you catch them on a good day and you are only out there for 15 mins, that's all they *might* charge you. Helpful if you have a friend to turn things over for you.

P.S. Don't park close to where you are blasting--you'll trash your truck.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I called - they charge $160/hr with a $40 minimum.

Anybody with some experience I have these two railings to clean up. 5’ long 3’ high front steps type from the 60s in front of every bungalow built back then. I’m sure you know what I mean. Any idea the time I might need? I’ve never used that kind of tool before so I’d be a noob.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Sure...kinda like the railing I made here: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/railing-project-for-steps.1409/#post-14338

John I think consolidated might be overkill for these. First of all it would only take seconds to blast those. But they would be blown right off the table. These are industrial machines and they will pit 1/16" tubing if left on too long. Most railings from that era are 1/8 wall posts w/ 1/16 wall stringers.

Have you considered water based / no fume strippers. They have come a long way in terms of effectiveness.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It doesn't. It just removes paint. But for something the size of railing, it doesn't matter. You could wire brush rust off if needed. There are chemical rust strippers too, but it is just an unnecessary step. Some people claim Tremclad adheres better on rusty metal.

Having said this, I can say that a product like Tremclad will last 10+ years on these. If you do the extra step of using Tremclad red oxide primer, even longer. That stuff is incredible and has compounds in it specifically designed to both bond to and inhibit rust. With the primer, I have a trellis I made in our yard that is 20 years old and still doesn't need repainting. Same material as a railing (1/16 wall) with Tremclad Red Oxide Primer + Tremclad Flat Black. 20 years...seriously. (See pics)

BYW - @Janger if you need the primer, a hint is most stores only sell it in the quart size, eventhough it is available in the pint size. I have 1/2 a quart left from my railings you can have if you want. It is only a month or so old.

trellis2.jpg trellis1.jpg

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I found something at Home Depot called EZ strip paint stripper. It has exactly 9 votes of 5 stars and 9 votes of 1 star. So I guess it either works on your paint or does not work at all. I guess I’ll try it and if it’s bust go sand blasting. Got any other products you would suggest?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Navel jelly?
I have a sand blaster canister from Princess Auto I belive it is at my Sons house I’ll have to check.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
John, I have a sand blaster that I bought from Princess Auto PAuto Blaster. I've had mixed results, usually frustrates before I'm done with it. My issues are typically with aggregate blockage etc. You are free to borrow it as long as you need it. You may need to fiddle with it. My experience is that thick enamel etc. will probably need a more agressive blaster. Requires pretty good air compressor.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Thanks Tom, Kevin
I only have a small 5 gal compressor so borrowing a gun is probably pointless. I’ll try the goo to remove the schmoo and see what happens. If that’s a bust I’ll maybe try to come over and try your gun?
J

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
$100. Thanks for the suggestion guys. I think I have roughened the material - I’ll have to see what it looks like after painting. Sure beat trying to clean out all those angles and corners.

Attachments

• 62259A38-2FE1-41B9-9FE2-F51446CA60AA.jpeg
    62259A38-2FE1-41B9-9FE2-F51446CA60AA.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 0
  • B030F9B8-ED4A-4D67-8FDD-1CEB18610DDD.jpeg
    B030F9B8-ED4A-4D67-8FDD-1CEB18610DDD.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 0