• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Safety Corner - Reminder

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just a reminder to secure your tooling and other cabinets that have stacked drawers. I recently had a close call in my shop after years of never thinking about this. Odd, but I always watched out for this in my office job and made sure cabinets were affixed properly when I worked downtown. But I never thought much about it at home.

I had most of the drawers open and the cabinet tipped on me. Luckily I caught it before it got past the point of no return as it has about 500 lbs of tooling, power tools, fasteners, etc., in it.

I'm affixing it to the wall this week with steel strapping to resolve the issue.

safety1.jpg

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A friend and I were working on a vehicle yesterday, and we needed to cold chisel a bearing race. After 3 or 4 hits, my friend's hand started bleeding profusely. It turns out a tiny piece of the cold chisel embedded itself into his hand.

This is of course the old wear eye protection warning. We were both wearing eye protection of course.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It was pinched in the slit that we were opening, and a piece of the race interacted with the wedge of the chisel, and the chisel lost. the high velocity spike embedded deeply into his hand.