• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rough looking Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe listed on GC surplus

trevj

Ultra Member
Is it still listed as a Milling Machine? I figured it was destined to have the listing pulled, and be re-listed later in the month, as that was their method for dealing with really poor descriptions.

The tool post grinder is an interesting ad to the pot!

Be quite interesting to see if this one is more greasy than rusty, in person.

John Conroy

Premium Member
The tool post grinder and the appearance of the machine make me think the operator didn't take measures to protect the machine from grinding debris or clean it properly after grinding. A death sentence for any lathe.

trevj

Ultra Member
The tool post grinder and the appearance of the machine make me think the operator didn't take measures to protect the machine from grinding debris or clean it properly after grinding. A death sentence for any lathe.
From my perspective, that lathe looks more worth the effort needed, than the anvil for $600! The lathe can be made useable, if not for precision work (which, lets be perfectly honest, most of us are NOT doing), at least for general shop duties, at least by appearances in the photos, inside a couple hours of scrubbing, and perhaps a session lifting off the carriage to see if there is any crap embedded in the carriage or ways that needs be dealt with.

Like the chick from school, so long ago, "She may not be the prettiest, but she'll get ya there!"

FWIW, most of my optimism is based on that really nice looking clear spot where the carriage was moved. Signs of it being long term storage in less than ideal conditions. A big batt of steel wool, half a case of WD-40, a wad of shop rags, and a sixpack, and you are well on your way to making it look a WHOLE lot better. BTDT, on a South Bend 9, that looked a WHOLE lot worse than that at the start...

Don't think of it as pitting! That there is "Oil Retention Texture!" :p