• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Rotary table...with a thread on chuck?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What’s there is a plain bore that runs true to the rotation of the table (less than .001” TIR).

It seems odd to me to have a Morse Taper sleeve installed in a plain cylindrical bore. The whole purpose of an MT is to create a precision centered adapter with enough friction to stop the engaged part from turning. It makes no sense to turn around and put the MT sleeve in a cylinder fit that can't stop the MT from turning.

Is there a keyway or some sort of rotational stop to serve that function in there? Or am I totally missing something fundamental?

Rauce

Ultra Member
It seems odd to me to have a Morse Taper sleeve installed in a plain cylindrical bore. The whole purpose of an MT is to create a precision centered adapter with enough friction to stop the engaged part from turning. It makes no sense to turn around and put the MT sleeve in a cylinder fit that can't stop the MT from turning.

Is there a keyway or some sort of rotational stop to serve that function in there? Or am I totally missing something fundamental?

No it doesn’t have anything to stop it rotating. I would guess the sleeve is a press fit and I don’t think the intended purpose would need to resist much rotational force. It’s only a stub sleeve so there’s not much taper contact anyways.

I believe it’s there to put a dead Center in for rotating/indexing something between centers. I can’t imagine it being much use for a locating feature on the back of fixture plate or something since you would need the taper to seat at the same time as the fixture plate hits the surface of the rotary table.

Jswain

Joe
Got a few minutes to mess around with it, and extracted the plug. Now at least I can centre it up if I need to use it. Still looking for opinions/success stories on using a thread on chuck w adapter on the rotary table

Attachments

• 20230528_141024-01.jpeg
    20230528_141024-01.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 9

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Still looking for opinions/success stories on using a thread on chuck w adapter on the rotary table
Yes you can make a threaded adapter that will accurately locate your lathe chuck. Thread on lathe chucks have a radial locating area on the headstock side of the thread. You have to lap this to the same dimension in your adapter and lap the OD to the bore side in your rotary table. Your adapter needs to continue to the bottom of the table where a nut can pull it down for rigidity.