• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Rotary table for milling machine

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a 6" rotary table (BB) and a 7 7/8" dividing head (Shars). I use the dividing head more often than the rotary table.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a 3" rotary table -- bought it for the cx600. Never used it. way too small. Its for sale

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a 6" rotary table (BB) and a 7 7/8" dividing head (Shars). I use the dividing head more often than the rotary table.
Hmnn interesting. Would a 5 " dividing head be too small for the work our little milling machines are capable of?

TOBARApprentice

Super User
In Ontario that table, in that condition would have sold for $400 to $500. It is WAY oversized for your mill. Why don’t you sell it and use the profit to get a table you’ll be able to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
The only aspect of the rotary table that could be too much for your mill is the overall height. Is it usable? If so, heavier is better in my opinion. It adds mass to combat any tendency to vibrate or chatter. If it is too tall then it has to go. I figured that out after purchasing a 14" KBC Rotary table for my big mill and then realizing I didn't have enough height. Any one want to buy a brand new 14" rotary table?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I went through this issue when I had my RF-45 mill. Which actually had about the same Z headroom as a 9x49 Bridgeport without spacer. Its amazingly hard to find low profile RTs. This 6" platen is 3.3" tall, but I seem to recall the dials must overhang the table. At least it has a 90-deg face, some do not. The quality varies by vendor.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1787

But anyways you have to factor what you potentially might be mounting to the plate from the bottom (chuck body + jaw extension + work piece) and what's coming down from the spindle (chuck, EM holder, cutting tool...). What's left in between in the middle is what you are left with. A tooling plate can sometimes be a better solution but its job/part specific.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I went through this issue when I had my RF-45 mill. Which actually had about the same Z headroom as a 9x49 Bridgeport without spacer. Its amazingly hard to find low profile RTs. This 6" platen is 3.3" tall, but I seem to recall the dials must overhang the table. At least it has a 90-deg face, some do not. The quality varies by vendor.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1787

But anyways you have to factor what you potentially might be mounting to the plate from the bottom (chuck body + jaw extension + work piece) and what's coming down from the spindle (chuck, EM holder, cutting tool...). What's left in between in the middle is what you are left with. A tooling plate can sometimes be a better solution but its job/part specific.

Ya... like this...

FINAL.JPG

There was no room left to mount a drill bit LOL....