• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rockford Lathe 19 x 80

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This is a Rockford 19 x 80 lathe. I called on it today and am expecting more info pictures soon. This will be a real project to get it here. I might just rent floor space if the voltage requirements puts me over. This is in the very early stages of thought process.

If it comes to my shop, I will be getting rid of the Craftex Lathe, Moving the 1440 CNC lathe to the new building. This machine is located in QC, so I will need to run down also to look, touch, operate.... Price is very inexpensive compared to modern similar sized lathe.

She is a BEAST !!

Attachments

• Lathe_Rockford_19x80_01.jpg
    Lathe_Rockford_19x80_01.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I looked it up as best as possible with no information yet. From what I gather this is a real Vintage machine. Built in the 1950's. It could likely be a big big headache. It has a threaded spindle attachment instead of Cam D lock. Possibly this could be modernized. It has a clutch which may need to be adjusted periodically. Any parts would have to be remade... If I were to venture down this unknown road... first stop is QC, they also have a lot of other "vintage" machines in stock... literally 3 warehouses full of them. One thing for sure is that it is NOT made of Chinesium.

I have included a link to PDF of a service manual I found and a link to the history on UK lathes.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
. It has a threaded spindle attachment instead of Cam D lock. Possibly this could be modernized.

Doesn't it have an l1 spindle? thats a pretty good setup, I wouldn't worry about switching it...but backing plates are pretty pricey...so you would definitely want to factor that in if it only comes with one chuck

Looks like a pretty solid machine if you have the space !

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Doesn't it have an l1 spindle? thats a pretty good setup, I wouldn't worry about switching it...but backing plates are pretty pricey...so you would definitely want to factor that in if it only comes with one chuck

Looks like a pretty solid machine if you have the space !
Add says...

Capacity: 19″ swing x 80″ between centers,

Spindle Bore: 1-3/4″

Hardened bed,

Includes:

• 3 Jaw chuck, extra jaws,
  • 4 jaw chuck
  • Taper attachment,
  • 3-pt. steady-rest
  • Driver plate ,
  • 220V.,

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Add says...

Capacity: 19″ swing x 80″ between centers,

Spindle Bore: 1-3/4″

Hardened bed,

Includes:

• 3 Jaw chuck, extra jaws,
  • 4 jaw chuck
  • Taper attachment,
  • 3-pt. steady-rest
  • Driver plate ,
  • 220V.,

well then i wouldn't worry about the L spindle, it already comes with the goods

i have a smaller L spindle on my lathe (L00), chuck goes on to a key wayed nose and the threaded portion is just a giant nut of sorts that draws the faceplate taper on to the nose tight, its not the same as a threaded spindle on like a south bend, the power is transmitted through the nose/keyway and not the threaded bit, takes 1-2 minutes to swap a chuck

justin1

Super User
Wicked find looks like it will be a beast, and should be small enough motor in it to get a affordable VFD 5hp-7.5hp my guess. And even better if it is 3ph 220v/380v as 3ph 550v is a pain. both my mill and big lathe are 550v... In the process of converting my lathe from 10hp 550v to 7.5hp 380v which is more VFD friendly and you can pick up VFD from AliExpress for 200$ shipped which is awesome not sure how long it will last but we shall see soon.

Hopefully it is in good shape look forward to seeing some up close and dirty pictures of it soon :)

Also the clutch is a good thing in a way. specially if your gonna use a RPC with it

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
looking forward to hearing the 'rest of the story'!!

I will "hound" him on Monday.. They had some vandalism problems at their buildings last night.. and were in the middle of dealing with the Popo.. Big consideration is freight costs and unloading.. among the more obvious, of working condition.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I sent another email. He claims to have gotten more photo's but has not got around to sending them to me. I have put the bug in his ear. It is kind of looking like this will put me over on cashflow at this time. I will post all info if it ever gets here in case anyone else wants this vintage lathe.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
That and you have a nice machine already...... Plus, you really did need the space more than you needed stuff to fill it with...... LOL!
The reality also is that I would need to have my hydro reconfigured. Move the stack to the Garage and change the house into a sub-panel. This would cost more than 3 vintage lathes and require a permit and inspections (BAD WORD) !!