• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

REV/OFF/FWD Drum Switch Wiring

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have a 1 PH 120 V 1/2 HP motor that is wired as follows.

P1 to Line

P2,T8, T3 joined

T5, T2, T4 to Line

Swap T5, and T8 to change FWD/REV

And a 6 contact drum switch that switches as follows.

REV

1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6

OFF (no contact interconnections)

1 2
3 4
5 6

FWD

1 - 3
2 - 4
5 - 6

How do I wire this up using 4 conductors to the motor? I think I have figured out how to do it with 5 conductors.

Can't post images tonight for some reason?

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
5 conductors does no include a ground, so I would have to run 6 conductors total.

Is there no clever work around for this?

So far I have come up with

T5 to contact 1

T2, T4 and Line (Neutral) to contact 2

P2, T3 to contact 3

T8 to contact 4

P1 to contact 5

Line (Hot) to contact 6

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have done this exact same thing before. Drew a diagram - but can’t remember where I put it right now.... I’ll let you know if/when I find it.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @YYCHobbyMachinist :

You will need a 3 conductor up to the switch from the phase convertor pins for common, reverse and Forward:
F1577177-D4AC-4F66-8346-8D85E9D74CB5.jpeg
Then you run a separate 3 conductor from the 3 phase output to the motor.

Brent H

Ultra Member
All you are doing with the switch is connecting the common to the FWD or REV pins so that the converter can switch the phases up inside itself. Run a separate 3 conductor to your motor. If it runs opposite to what you configured, just switch 2 phases at the VFD and you should be good.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ah - sorry my bad - LOL. Did not we do the single phase reversing switch last year some time? Maybe with @Chicken lights ?

Good point, I'll look through David's thread again. As far as I know, he never did get that lathe running and I recollect suggestions that he bypass the cabinet wiring until he had the motor wiring figured out.

BTB - What kind of internet device are you using that you manage to post an image?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist : I posted the picture through my phone - do the typing on the main computer, the site saves my typing, upload a picture and then finish off my blurb. The pictures are all flipping sideways unless I rotate them on the phone.

I will try and post one from the main computer:

$_59 (1).png

That was a png image

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This is the only solution I have been able to come up with......

SWWIRING.JPG

But it requires 5 conductors (6 with ground) from the switch to the motor. Yuck!!!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Those work but I'm trying to keep the number of conductors between the switch and motor to 4. Was hoping some one had a hocus-pocus AC solution for this.

When I disconnected the switch from 3/4HP GRYPON motor I discovered that the motor ground wire was tied to incoming neutral (not the incoming ground) in the switch??? Does that sound legit?

I found this....

Grizzly120-230RevDrumSw.jpg

But not sure it makes sense. It's also not indicating any P1 or P2 designations?

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Well, for a 120 volt load the ground and neutral are coming from the same panel location but it is not proper wiring to connect them at the load.

The drawing I sent above you run 2 conductor to the motor and 4 to the switch