• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Product Repairing a brand new PA lawn roller

Product

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Bought this:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/36-in-tow-behind-steel-lawn-roller/product/PA0008585184

One end of the box had a hole where the shaft is. I could see the threads and they didn't look damaged so I opened the box at the other end. What I found was undamaged box and cardboard spacer but damaged threads. Looks like it was dropped and then the roller was turned end for end to hide the damage. Not by PA but by the manufacturer.

I thought I could fix the threads. They ended up stripping once I tightened the nut. Turns out that wasn't the only problem. The entire end plate has been pushed in. See photo. I think you can see the light reflecting in a way that shows it's not flat.

Now the handle rubs against the edge of the roller and the cleaning bar won't fit between. Can't just add spacers because the outer bearing then sits on the threads and there's no room for nut and washers.

I could turn an extension that slides over the existing shaft and just weld that in place. I was seriously thinking I'd do that rather than spend more than 2 hours returning it along with another $10 worth of fuel to get there and back. But now if that shaft isn't straight the roller is going to have some major runout.

So don't try and repair right. Just return for replacement to PA?

Attachments

• RollaraEndPlate.jpg
    RollaraEndPlate.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 8

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Return for replacement and discount for your wasted time and gas. Have them open the box and check the new one before you leave the store.
It was already on sale. And I did muck up the threads more but wouldn't have mattered even if I was able to thread on a nut because the plate was pressed in.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’d repair it as the nearest PA is 2 hours away. I’d also email customer service to see if they’re kick back some money.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
PA was good about replacing it. I told them I didn't think they'd done it because of the way the box was sealed and the roller turned end for end so the hole in the box showed the good threads.

Anyway. New one is assembled.
AssembledRoller.jpg
Still really is a piece of crap.
The two rods didn't line up well with each other and the scraping bar had to be bent out a bit or it would hit the seam weld each time. And you can see in these photos that the arms aren't perpendicular to the turning axis.
OneSideRoller.jpg OtherSideRoller.jpg
The axle bearings are likely under a lot of stress.
BearingsOnRoller.jpg
And this time all the screws and nuts etc were in a heat sealed plastic bag where in the first it was a ziploc. Maybe PA did repackage it?

Anyway, a real one from someone like Husquavarna is more than double the price although also 48" instead of 36".

Jswain

Joe
I feel like when you buy something like this from princess auto, you have to factor in that, someday(and not on day 1 like your first unit) you will probably need to do some welding/bending/replacing on it to keep it working like a piece of crap.