• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Repair ideas

Hi again I need some ideas on how to repair this head I just picked up. As you can see in the picture someone tried to drill out a stainless steel pin used to hold the chain rail guide. The result is part of the shoulder used as structure has been removed and a new hole has been made in the case. I have more pics but its not letting me post any more. Anyways I need ideas and likely talent to repair this somehow.

20190721_185343.jpg

20190721_185343.jpg
20190721_185343.jpg

Attachments

• 20190721_185442.jpg
    20190721_185442.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190721_185359_Burst01.jpg
    20190721_185359_Burst01.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
If it is aluminium you might have some issues welding it up. One thing you could try is to machine an aluminium bushing, make the hole to fit the bushing ( or vice versa) and press in the bushing with some bearing retaining loctite and then re-drill the hole in the bushing...... can you reasonably support the head to allow for the drill out?..

I couldn't do either but would be concerned the heat may warp the mating surface. On the other hand if you knew someone in the Calgary area who would be interested I would like to talk with them.

Benzdiesel1

The hole now is about 3/8", not certain but it maybe wise to enlarge and clean up that hole first? Then size the plug and thread, glue, or press fit something and final machining.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think enlarging to the next round size 7/16 or less? and then reaming to .4375 or .438 or so. then press fit a 0.4385 or 0.439 custom aluminium bushing? Need a reamer appropriate size. Not sure what I've got but other forum members have sets.... anybody? I'm just speculating here... Could the bushing be made to size and pre drilled, then press fit with... an arbor press? or a hyd press ? support the internal walls with spacers? tight clearances though.

Benzdiesel1

Apparently something may have been wrong with my prevous screen name so if you notice my name change that was at the request of a moderator.

I like your thinking Janger my concern would be the press in fit hopefully that won't cause a fracture in the casting? But once the bushing is in the inside surface can be filed flat then drilled straight through both holes to hold the pin.

Brent H

Ultra Member
drill and ream hole (so it is smooth). Measure and then make an aluminium bushing about .001 to .002" over size. Put it in the freezer and get it chilled down. you can gently warm the casing with a heat gun. Apply some loctite bearing retainer or the red stuff (permanent) and then press in the chilly bushing. You can push it in with a c-clamp and a socket on the inside of the casing. make sure the socket will allow the busing to seat in as far as you need it. Allow things to set and then you can re-drill the right hole.

That should work? hard to tell as I'm not there - hope that helps or give you a "ah ha!" moment :)

Benzdiesel1

Ok I made some measurements the largest drill bit I could get through the hole was 23/64 and it was a sloppy fit. Not certain how much room a drill press requires but not a lot of room to work with if the same angle cut?

Attachments

• 20190726_142419_HDR.jpg
    20190726_142419_HDR.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190726_141837_HDR.jpg
    20190726_141837_HDR.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 0

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’d get a copper rod turn it to size then have it tig’d the aluminum won’t stick to the copper.
I’m not sure why I’m getting this message!

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Benzdiesel1

Just wondering if anyone has comments on the use of durafix brazing rods, for aluminum. Or wondering if a 3/8" aluminum dowel be shaped to fit and brazed in or glued in. Then a bit of drilling would just be needed.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Diesels handle for some reason trips up the spam filter and every post from him or to this thread has to approved - there were 7 in there this morning. I think if Diesel signs up again with a new name and continues this thread in a brand new post it will fix the problem.