• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Removing PSA Disks - Help ???

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've got a Kalmazoo 20" disc sander that I love—except when I need to swap out sanding disks. I've tried putty knives, heat guns, Goof Off, acetone, xylene, 3M Scotch Brites, but I am still looking at 3 hrs to get a clean surface.

What am I doing wrong? My old Crappy Tire 12 inch model wasn't so tough. So I think it must be the disks. I did cheap out and get the brown ones instead of the blue ones, but even at this price it was $200+ for 10. I think the Gods are conspiring against me.

Shoot me. Shoot me now.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A slow-cooker method I used ages ago - and the new adhesives might be very different. I never had to change my disks "right now" so I used to soak them in cheap oil (I started with peanut butter oil, but graduated to used motor oil) In about 24 hours the adhesive softened to the point that the paper came off quite easily...

I changed over to a belt sander after about 6 changes, and haven't used the technique in 20 years (!!)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've always been meaning to try the good stuff, but its kind of spendy. I'm not sure what remover they would recommend but it has to be a very common application. Some of the autobody supply shops carry other brands, but cant speak to performance or price. Increasingly they use faster peel & replace solutions, either adhesive or Velcro type systems.
https://www.gessweincanada.com/product-p/820-0670.htm

My disc is only 8" (light duty) so I get away with the sticky backed discs. You probably want to be more selective because bigger loads & maybe temp too. Some of the common spray adhesives are not really meant to withstand much temperature. Usually acetone is a my go-to solvent but sometimes you have to experiment. Some things just don't break down as rapidly or cleanly, then you try lighter fluid or the citrus remover & it works. Lacquer thinner will break down many stubborn glues, resins, even catalyzed paint most other solvents wont touch. If it didn't stink so bad I would use it often.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Humm. I wonder if I can get a hook and loop system for it? Time for some research.

I agree with you about acetone. My shop smells like a nail salon for days afterwards.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think oil makes sense. It can be really helpful removing sticky residue from price stickers and other gunk.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hummm. Keep hoping for a simple, non messy answer John.

Minions. I require to Minions remove my PSA disks! Maybe I can get a Canada Council grant or something.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I know some adhesives can be removed way easier with scraping type methods if you leave the glued surface in a deep freezer for awhile, or outside if it's cold (see: really cold) out.

Might be worth a try!