• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

reiden-T200, Improved Middle Drag Handwheel (Adds Subdivision gear)

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I often use the reiden-T200. Although more accurate digital ball grid is added, it is very difficult to accurately control small size adjustments when accurate feed is needed. I hope to subdivide by 10%, so the adjustment will be much easier.(The time is2022.07) 2022_07_17_21_11_IMG_3535_看图王.JPG 2022_07_18_12_49_IMG_3542.JPG

2022_07_25_18_37_IMG_3694.JPG 2022_07_25_22_47_IMG_3706.JPG

2022_07_26_17_02_IMG_3730.JPG 2022_07_26_17_02_IMG_3733.JPG 2022_07_26_17_03_IMG_3737.JPG

After subdivision can be very stable adjustment 0.01mm, even 0.001mm

a smile

Premium Member
Very nice parts.

Did you use a 10:1 planetary gear reduction in the dial that you made?
After subdivision can be very stable adjustment 0.01, even 0.001mm

Yes, I used 10:1, which also completed the function. The only drawback was that its size was a little too large. This improvement added 60mm width to the lathe, which was not very large, but it still felt inconsistent. I am waiting for another suitable reducer, inner ring structure, hollow, can introduce the maximum size IMG_7448.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I would like to know more about how it works. Is there a gear mechanism inside the part? Did you buy that or make it? And those are beautiful parts really nice surface finish.

a smile

Premium Member
I would like to know more about how it works. Is there a gear mechanism inside the part? Did you buy that or make it? And those are beautiful parts really nice surface finish.
The reducer in picture 2 is 10:1 made in Taiwan. This is a second-hand product purchased. I made all the other parts by myself, using the lathe reiden. As for the finish, I think it can be done well as long as you put your heart into it. Unfortunately, I was so focused on the production that I had no time to take photos. In most cases, I simply took a few photos and recorded them after finishing, so that I could check the time. I hope I will buy a professional camera to record my production process in the future. But I don't have time to edit, and I also need to learn editing. I hope someone in the forum is willing to do post editing. I am willing to provide video materials!

John Conroy

Premium Member
I've never heard of a planetary reduction being used on the cross feed. Is that a feature on some brands of machines?

a smile

Premium Member
I don't think I'm bound by rules, and I like to change structures or features of devices that I don't think are convenient enough.

There is some resistance when feeding fast, but it also provides some damping, which makes it easier for the middle drag plate to stay stable when working with vibration. This has been proven in use!

I like the current state very much. Although it is not perfect, it is still what I need!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
None of us are bound by rules! Breaking machining rules is almost a goal around here.

Making things better is the goal. If the rules get in the way, it's time to break the rules.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've never heard of a planetary reduction being used on the cross feed. Is that a feature on some brands of machines?

It is quite common on high quality, manual grinding machines (like surface grinders, cylindrical grinders, etc) to ”spilt the thou” or the tenth, as the case may be.

Here is a picture of a dial on a Jones & Shipman 540 SFG. The big dial on the right is the vertical down feed with the fine feed knob. The center dial (with the fine feed on top of the saddle) is the Y-axis.

FCD7E720-9942-4A05-ACF8-406D495976DA.jpeg

Rauce

Ultra Member
I think if you wanted to avoid the additional drag when feeding quickly you could have the small center knob push in or pull out to disengage. My Mitutoyo height gage has a feature like that for the fine adjust.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had the same thoughts about implementing planetary gear on my lathe cross slide for better tool post grinder control. But yes, unless you have a way to quickly disconnect the gear reduction, you are then faced with spinning the dial 10X more to move the usual amount in regular mode. And once I learned more about tool post grinding, that's the least of issues.

Another thought would use planetary reduction in conjunction with ball screw type assemblies because they are typically larger pitch than ACME/trapezoid screws. Theoretically you would get smooth action & arguably better anti-backlash nut, but more 'normal' feed rate. So many dangerous thoughts, so little time HaHa. The @a smile retrofit looks very nice.

a smile

Premium Member
I had the same thoughts about implementing planetary gear on my lathe cross slide for better tool post grinder control. But yes, unless you have a way to quickly disconnect the gear reduction, you are then faced with spinning the dial 10X more to move the usual amount in regular mode. And once I learned more about tool post grinding, that's the least of issues.

Another thought would use planetary reduction in conjunction with ball screw type assemblies because they are typically larger pitch than ACME/trapezoid screws. Theoretically you would get smooth action & arguably better anti-backlash nut, but more 'normal' feed rate. So many dangerous thoughts, so little time HaHa. The @a smile retrofit looks very nice.
I don't think it's necessary to disengage, because you can replace the grease with a smaller viscosity to reduce the resistance, and you can also increase the diameter of the handwheel to increase the force. You can ignore the drag unless you're spinning it really, really fast!

a smile

Premium Member
You mentioned that the planetary assembly was second hand. Are more units available?
I don't think I understand your intention!

I use second-hand retarders, which are sold in many places in China. Do you mean to ask me: Are there more retarders in my warehouse?

I have a lot. I have prepared more of these parts for DIY. I can even send some to you, but the freight is a big problem!

a smile

Premium Member
我想如果你想在快速进给时避免额外的阻力,你可以让小的中心旋钮推入或拉出以脱离。我的 Mitutoyo 高度尺具有类似微调的功能。
When you actually implement it, you will find that it is not a good idea. The best solution is to start with the gear, design a completely suitable internal gear ring structure, and manufacture it perfectly!

When I have enough time, I will upgrade and finish it again!