Recommended File Brand

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I agree. Last batch of Nicholson I got from KBC, the 6" were OK but 8" were not good. You could see incomplete serrations that looked stamped instead of cut & they dulled in no time on mild steel. Maybe they were in between stock where old=good & new=not-as-good, or maybe just got unlucky with a Monday batch. My old Nicholsons lasted me for 20 years. Good files are spendy like 2-3X but so is tossing out brand names we used to trust but seems like farmed out to inferior manufacturers. Many of the jeweler supply places carry good quality (typically European) files but familiarize yourself with the patterns & cut terminology & numbering system because they vary. With the FX going the wrong way they might burn a hole in the credit card.
https://www.gessweincanada.com/category-s/10437.htm
https://www.ottofrei.com/jewelry-to...lter:custitem_of_sca_type:Precision$2520Files

I tried a single Pferd purchase through Amazon. I think its up there quality wise. Trouble is always seems to be handyman sets or grades that are on the coarse side for metal work, at least the stuff I do.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=pferd+file&crid=1E5F859NLN8PB&sprefix=pferd+,aps,189&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
39B67ADA-1B3E-464F-AE51-ADE5F58CAEA3.jpeg
I’ve got three Snap On, two Nicholson and a sandvik. They all seem to work fine, but they don’t see a lot of use.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One my 'one day' thoughts is to utilize the tool steel of a worn out file, anneal it, grind the old serrations off & re-make the cutting surface with old skool methods like video link. Then send it to the local bladesmith dude for hardening. Apparently part of the magic of why handmade files cut so well is the ever so slightly slightly random offset pattern that humans do naturally. I know this to be true of woodworking rasps with spot point or short length chiseled burrs, But I haven't found many references to metalworking files where the serrations seem to always be full span across the chord. There are some manufactured wavy pattern files.

Hand process starts about minute 5:00

Crankit

I used Tom's recommendation and treated myself to a couple of Pferd files.....An aluminum file(which I never tried before) as well another lathe file.

Attachments

• 20200805_091145.jpg
    20200805_091145.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
another at about 2:50 (looks like full span but narrow file)
These two vids were fun to watch. I find it fascinating how the "myth" about hand made files cutting better makes perfect sense when you think about it, especially after seeing how they are made. I too have heard that the "random" pattern is something manufacturers try to simulate to get the same effect. For some reason it always amuses me when we discover that imperfection is in fact a solution.

I'm also slightly concerned that I'm entering the same period of my life as the gentleman in the second video where I start needing suspenders to hold my pants up above my belly button.

Thanks for posting.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I used Tom's recommendation and treated myself to a couple of Pferd files.....An aluminum file(which I never tried before) as well another lathe file.
So Wayne what do you think - have you had a chance to use them?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm also slightly concerned that I'm entering the same period of my life as the gentleman in the second video where I start needing suspenders to hold my pants up above my belly button.

Thanks for posting.
Fond memories of my dad there for me.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
One my 'one day' thoughts is to utilize the tool steel of a worn out file, anneal it, grind the old serrations off & re-make the cutting surface with old skool methods like video link. Then send it to the local bladesmith dude for hardening. Apparently part of the magic of why handmade files cut so well is the ever so slightly slightly random offset pattern that humans do naturally. I know this to be true of woodworking rasps with spot point or short length chiseled burrs, But I haven't found many references to metalworking files where the serrations seem to always be full span across the chord. There are some manufactured wavy pattern files.

Hand process starts about minute 5:00
That is some amazing handwork there. Thank you for sharing!

Crankit

So Wayne what do you think - have you had a chance to use them?
I used the aluminum file on some 1" square stock last week, it's aggressive in material removal and you will still need a file card handy. At least you won't be picking out pieces of aluminum like one does with a regular file.