Recommended File Brand

JohnnyTK

I have been using files from Home Depot, but have decided to file some knife blanks and was considering elevating my game when it came to files any suggestions of brands would be appreciated?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hi JohnnyTK,

I have had good luck with Nicholson files. Recently I purchased a couple file handles from Canadian Tire that clamp onto the file - so far they are really good.

I have a few Princess Auto files that perform well for brass and aluminium....not as great on harder metals

JohnnyTK

Hi JohnnyTK,

I have had good luck with Nicholson files. Recently I purchased a couple file handles from Canadian Tire that clamp onto the file - so far they are really good.

I have a few Princess Auto files that perform well for brass and aluminium....not as great on harder metals

Thanks for input.
CTC has a clearance on the file handles, next on my list to stop in and pick up a few.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Beware fake Nicholson files when ordering online. I’ve ordered some from amazon that were crap (curves like a violin box)

I order my files from KBC and they are really good (Nicholson). Or I get from Kms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
I saw a while ago that the Nicholson files have copies of them out there the difference is they are spelling it slightly different.

JohnnyTK

KBC is right around the corner from my office, never thought of them. Also technician at our shop mentioned PFERD does anyone have any experience with the brand?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Nowadays Nicholson files are all made in Brazil - and they are far poorer than an old rusty one made in NAmerica. I am finding that the offshore ones are getting better - they last longer and cut better than the ones from 5 years ago.

If I could afford them my files woupd be Pferd. no question.

Crankit

Simonds files are good as well, usually find them and old Nicholson's at garage sales.

Wayne

trlvn

Ultra Member
I have a couple of old files marked "Globe Canada" and another marked "Black Diamond Canada". I haven't really put any of them to the test so I can't say whether they are particularly good or bad.

I do have one file that is magnetized and I should just throw it out. PITA trying to clean it!

Craig

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Craig - I think those magnetized ones are for critical applications like nuclear plants, etc., right?

When I worked at the old NOVA Service Centre outside of Calgary they had lots of those. They had them for the jet turbines used in their compressors. There's a guy on YouTube called Donyboy73 - The Small Engine Repair Guy (I think he is out in your neck of the woods in fact). He has one video where he drills into a cylinder head w/o taking it apart. Can't recall why—maybe to put a Helicoil in the sparkplug hole or something. But he dips the drill bit in axle grease so it catches all (most) of the swarf. I suppose it's the same principle.

I know I wouldn't want to clean a magnetized file either. Just getting all those wire brush ends and chips out of my welding magnets is bad enough...but filings would be nasty.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Don't need to fret over a magnitized file, just demagnitize it. Perhaps someone near you has a demag. They are awesome!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nothing better than new tools to play with fondle drool over find a use for think up new projects for perform valuable tasks for the wife with.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Good for you.

Brian H

Super User
I have several sets of files from PA. As was stated they aren't spectacular but do OK. The best files I have are Nicholson I inherited from My Grandfather. I have purchased a couple new Nicholson, but, they aren't any better than the PA ones I have so certainly not worth the added cost (in my opinion). I haven't got any experience with anything else

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
if you can find old Nicholson files at garage sales, either made in England or USA, but them: even worn out ones are useful.

Even PA files are OK, got great but OK.

'Made in Brazil' Nicholson files don't seem to hold up any better than PA files.