• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Reamers

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a couple you can borrow.
Not to far away for you to pick up.
Thanks for the offer! I have a couple of kits, and if I survive the first two I'm looking at getting others, so I think sinking some $ into a 1/4" reamer is worth the effort.

Brian26

Premium Member
Some general advice - but it especially applies to reamers. Be careful buying some of the "round" products on Amazon (and probably others like Ali and Bangood) What some Chinese manufacturers call 1/4" I have found is really 6mm. They seem not to know there is a difference - or just think that close enough is OK.

Related thought - I just bought a few cheap machine reamers in metric sizes to expand my ability to enlarge a hole accurately. A 6.4mm reamer does a good job of opening up a 1/4" hole if you need a relaxed fit.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For Chinese the 1/4 reamer is almost certainly made as metric reamer of specific size. Which is totally fine as inch is fixed to mm.
So that would be 6.35mm reamer. 6.35mm does not seem too "odd" of a size for a reamer. If you got 6mm instead they almost certainly simply made a mistake.

kstrauss

Related thought - I just bought a few cheap machine reamers in metric sizes to expand my ability to enlarge a hole accurately. A 6.4mm reamer does a good job of opening up a 1/4" hole if you need a relaxed fit.
Where did you find a 6.4mm reamer? I'd like some metric over/under reamers but haven't found an affordable source.