• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Reamer using

Blouin55

Michel
Why using reamers...looking for buying imperial reamers considering i'm a beginner.
Buying cheap or ???
Where to buy them?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some people like to have an over/under set so presumably could handle situations like a light press fit or a light running fit. Personally I feel its a way to burn through a lot of money without a specific purpose in mind. There are so many classes of fit, types of shafts, IMP vs Metric. I would pick a brand you like & buy them as you need them. Places like KBC sell some good USA names & also euro (house brand) both are good. Its similar to taps, don't buy junk grade or you will regret it.

In small size metric I have been experimenting with AliExpress & so far been quite impressed.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-03-10 6.19.48 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-03-10 6.19.48 PM.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 2

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Asia & Europe are predominantly metric, so you are kind of stuck with N-Am suppliers if that's what you are after.
But again depends on what you are doing. If you have a 0.250 ground shaft & want 0.0005" diametric clearance, you need a 0.2505" reamer. So it's Imperial-ish, I guess you could say decimal Imperial. But many folks think they need a 0.2500" reamer because its 1/4". My question is for what purpose? Ground pins & drill rod have +/- tolerances so it may not be good for intended purpose. Hopefully this makes sense. Trying to save you money LOL

Blouin55

Michel
Asia & Europe are predominantly metric, so you are kind of stuck with N-Am suppliers if that's what you are after.
But again depends on what you are doing. If you have a 0.250 ground shaft & want 0.0005" diametric clearance, you need a 0.2505" reamer. So it's Imperial-ish, I guess you could say decimal Imperial. But many folks think they need a 0.2500" reamer because its 1/4". My question is for what purpose? Ground pins & drill rod have +/- tolerances so it may not be good for intended purpose. Hopefully this makes sense. Trying to save you money LOL
For example my next project will be to make a lathe bed stop and i want i want to have an indicator in it.
Do i need a reamer or only a drill bit will make the job?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm, I could go either way on that. Holes are kind of considered roughing operations so surface may not be perfect for indicator stem. OTOH if its a cheapo $20 indicator and ideally clamp style retention, maybe drill is OK. Number/letter drills are pretty fine increments (and also mic your stem beforehand). You could test drill on scrap & evaluate for yourself.

This is a good way to hold indicator stems

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-03-10 6.44.48 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-03-10 6.44.48 PM.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Accusize has a decent set of 29 chucking reamers. They are not very cheap anymore but I have the same set I bought 6-8 years ago and like them. Mine are not accusize branded but the exact same set they advertise now as accusize are identical to my set.

Six O Two

(Marco)
Accusize has a decent set of 29 chucking reamers. They are not very cheap anymore but I have the same set I bought 6-8 years ago and like them. Mine are not accusize branded but the exact same set they advertise now as accusize are identical to my set.

Is the M2 version really worth the extra $200 over the regular HSS version? I guess it depends on what you're reaming.

I was thinking I needed reamers a few months back and after diving deep into clearances, over/under, metric v imperial, I ended up at the same place as PeterT
Some people like to have an over/under set so presumably could handle situations like a light press fit or a light running fit. Personally I feel its a way to burn through a lot of money without a specific purpose in mind.
I figure it's better to wait until I really really need them and buy exactly what I need. Having said that, I was trolling ebay round xmas time and found a semi used 7pc 1/8 - 1/2 by 1/16ths set for $20 so I snapped that up. Still haven't actually used any of them yet though, so... kinda reinforces PeterT's point...