• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

Different Really! for everyone and something that is genius (not!).
They replaced the lunchroom microwaves at work with new Panasonic Genius ones that are like the picture. Definitely not designed by geniuses.
2 things, the copied forward since forever anti-view your food window. I have almost accepted that I'm not allowed to see my food cook / heat up anymore, they are winning the fight there.
But then just to assert their genius dominance on us poor folk who use microwaves, they have come up with a new trick. You now need to push a button labeled "Door Open" to gain access to your food!
But wait it gets better - the door doesn't open when you press the door open button. It just unlocks the door. The door cannot be opened until the "Door Open" button has been pressed, even if the microwave has come to the end of its timer or you pressed stop.

Through extensive human subject testing (my workplace), it has been identified that smashing incessantly and aggressively the mechanical button that physically opens the door not only does not open the door, but results in the microwave blowing its fuse (literally). Really.

We are doomed as a human race if we need to have an extra button pressed to access to food that may be hot because we put it into a device that is supposed to make it hot.
1769737547320.png
 
Last edited:
We got a Sanyo microwave 40 years ago. Fabulous machine. It finally gave up the ghost a couple of years back. We looked constantly and found another one last week and best yet the plastic has already yellowed, so one less thing for us to do.
 
So why don’t the doors open more than 90 degrees on microwaves? I looked at various makes, haven’t found any that open more yet.
 
So why don’t the doors open more than 90 degrees on microwaves? I looked at various makes, haven’t found any that open more yet.
Most microwaves are designed to be recessed in a cubby or cabinet.
If the door opens more than 90 degrees you run the risk of having it break on the pull for the adjacent door or drawer.
 
Guess I must be the only one that finds it a pain in the you know where. Being a lefty possibly something to do with it. The dam door is nearly always in the way unless I move to the right. Even if the door opened another 20? degrees.
Ah, these world problems.
 
Even if the door opened another 20? degrees.
Ah, these world problems.

Not 20, but our Panasonic prolly opens another 12 to 15 degrees.

This photo was taken in line with the left inside wall.

20260130_131254.jpg

Might be worth a look depending on how much you hate it. It's also a very nice microwave. It's Mafia SWMBO Approved.
 
Above-range Whirlpool microwave. Looks really sleek. Took us five years to figure out there is a latch under the door and you can open it without using the <Open> button.

Worst HMI design ever. You have to open the door to do anything other than run on High for 30 seconds. All the controls are behind the door.

Almost as bad as our Samsung stove with a front-mounted touchscreen control. So you can't clean the front of the stove without turning on the oven. And our kitchen faces west, so during summer evenings making dinner, our nice bright kitchen with sunlight streaming in through the big window near the range means you can't read the LCD display.

p_1001122655.jpgp_1001122655_alt_YWML55011HS_SET.jpg
 
Almost as bad as our Samsung stove with a front-mounted touchscreen control. So you can't clean the front of the stove without turning on the oven. And our kitchen faces west, so during summer evenings making dinner, our nice bright kitchen with sunlight streaming in through the big window near the range means you can't read the LCD display
We don't have the unwanted turning on problem but Hell Yeah for the unreadable display.
I had to use the online chat to register the stove as the website wasn't working properly. Got that done and when the rep asked if there was anything else he could help with I mentioned the unreadable display. He said I should call an electrician to have more kitchen lights installed. He wasn't wrong. We have aimable potlights so I had to redirect one to see the display properly. Nice stove otherwise, though.
 
BC Ferries gives preferred boarding to trucks with livestock on. Pulling up to the booth on a busy day, with both trailers tarped I declared I had livestock on board. With a sceptical look on her face the agent asked what type of livestock I was transporting. I said "pigs". She leaned out her booth window, took a big sniff and said "smells more like bulshit to me". I got on the second sailing.
 
I have found out that extra microwave button is mandated in US Federal law. Unlikely that the makers will build a Canadian version and US, so we are stuck with the US product safety. As found on the website of one microwave mfg:
"As of April 1 2024, all countertop microwave ovens manufactured to be sold in the United States will be equipped with the UL923 Child-Resistant Door Lock function as a UL safety requirement.
UL923 requires two distinct actions to be taken to unlock the microwave door after a cooking cycle begins. The Child-Resistant Door Lock is prompted by the start of a cooking cycle."

What bugs me is that this is based on the assumption a child can't figure out the sequence of presses to get the door open. However, the microwave had to be operating in the first place to be dangerously hot. How did it get started - by the same child that's not going to figure out how to open it after watching mom and dad do it every day? If smart enough to operate it then surely they can figure out opening. I feel like this is a reaction to address an issue, but without thinking through if it really achieves the goal.
 
I have to be grateful then.
The Sears Kenmore in our house is easily the original purchased when the house was built
Still works like new, even at 40 plus yrs of age
I've had to change the bulb in it
So no complaints here
And none of this BS 100 degree door shit lol
 

Attachments

  • 1769823239684931260513311507908.jpg
    1769823239684931260513311507908.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 17698232842085804296973683681933.jpg
    17698232842085804296973683681933.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top