• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

If you look up Hwy 2, starting in St Ignace MI, you can run that out past Shelby Montana, I have never once seen an accident on that highway like we see on Hwy 11 or 17 in Ontario, and 11/17 have accidents daily
Interesting. You're right. I've been on 2 from Idaho to North Dakota & never seen an accident. On the other hand, I've been on 93 from the BC border to almost Nevada & the accidents are frequent. It's known as the widow maker.
 
I think Italy is an interesting comparison to North American driving dangers. My understanding is they have more accidents per km but because they are generally slower and people don’t drive as much, they end up safer overall.
 
I can't argue against stats, but I can count on my own observations to form an opinion.

There is probably a reasonable explanation. I doubt your observations are wrong, and I doubt the stats are wrong too.

Could this be like highway construction in the US vs Canada? They have just as much construction, maybe more. But it isn't the problem that it is here. Maybe they clear the accidents faster? Gotta be an explanation.
 
Hi Guys,

Here in the UK, the local Police have just started the annual Christmas driving purge !
On the local news they said that in one day they collared over 100 drivers for DUI and drugs offences.

Well they have to pay for the Xmas bash somehow...
 
Hi Guys,

Here in the UK, the local Police have just started the annual Christmas driving purge !
On the local news they said that in one day they collared over 100 drivers for DUI and drugs offences.

Well they have to pay for the Xmas bash somehow...
Even if the police got to keep the fines they impose (which I doubt is the case) on drivers who commit these offences, would you rather they just let the drunks and addicts drive? I've never understood this argument.
 
Could this be like highway construction in the US vs Canada? They have just as much construction, maybe more. But it isn't the problem that it is here. Maybe they clear the accidents faster? Gotta be an explanation.
The reason construction doesnt cause the disruptions in the US compared to Canada is that , down there they build new construction freeways & major interchanges BEFORE the population is introduced to the area, in Canada we build residential monstrosities, let the population in and then say "ohhh wow we created a bottleneck, lets make it worse for the next 4 yrs trying to catch up".
 
Even if the police got to keep the fines they impose (which I doubt is the case) on drivers who commit these offences, would you rather they just let the drunks and addicts drive? I've never understood this argument.
No the Police do not get to keep the fines !

It just a comment intended to show distaste.
 
Oh boy oh boy. A chance for me to vent....

European drivers in general are better than Canadian. Partly because driving with a learners permit may only be done with an instructor and not a parent with bad habits. So it's more expensive to get that license.

In The Netherlands where we lived a driver on the right always has the right of way no matter whether the road on the right is smaller or bigger. Unless it's got sharks teeth painted (or stop sign). That's a standard even in parking lots.

My complaint about drivers here is how they will start to change lanes or even change lanes without signalling to move into a right turn only or left turn only exit. Then just before the intersection they turn on their signal lights. DUH! You can't go anywhere else. You're already in a lane that goes around a corner. We know you are going to turn. Signalling now shows stupidity. Yet these same people don't signal when they travel around a bend in the road.

Rant mode OFF.
 
European drivers in general are better than Canadian.
I think there are other reasons as well.
-Better public transit, shorter travel distances means more people don't need to drive at all
-Higher cost of driving discourages driving
-Way easier to to have your license withdrawn
-The roads have more design intent to prevent accidents (fewer blind corners, entry points onto high speed roads, etc.)
 
My complaint about drivers here is how they will start to change lanes or even change lanes without signalling to move into a right turn only or left turn only exit. Then just before the intersection they turn on their signal lights. DUH! You can't go anywhere else. You're already in a lane that goes around a corner. We know you are going to turn. Signalling now shows stupidity. Yet these same people don't signal when they travel around a bend in the road.

Rant mode OFF.
My wife once asked why I wasn't signaling to turn left at the lights where you can only turn left (the lights that are literally a flashing arrow to show which direction to turn).
I said, "I'd be more concerned about a person behind us that is wondering what direction I will be going when the light turns green".
I never signal at that type of intersection.

Ever been behind somebody whose signal light is ON when they are about to enter a freeway from a single lane entrance ramp and then upon entering immediately cross over several lanes without signaling once? Life is a mystery.
 
The small city I live in converted a couple busy streets from two lanes each way to a centre turning lane and and one lane each way. It amazes me how many people have no clue to how to use the centre lane. I have seen people turn across the centre lane blocking the thru lane they were in while waiting to turn and people stopping in the thru lane with their signal on waiting to turn while blocking a busy street.
 
Here in (Calgary) Doverglen we had a street that was 2 lanes east & west divided by a 20 foot grass area until they closed one side off for a bike lane so I don’t know what they are smoking in Council
 
The reason construction doesnt cause the disruptions in the US compared to Canada is that , down there they build new construction freeways & major interchanges BEFORE the population is introduced to the area, in Canada we build residential monstrosities, let the population in and then say "ohhh wow we created a bottleneck, lets make it worse for the next 4 yrs trying to catch up".
4 Years? The Massey Tunnel in Vancouver has been at capacity for 30+ years. In 2010 the Powers That Be decided to replace a four-lane tunnel with a ten-lane bridge. In 2015 the PTB were booted out of office, and the new PTB scrapped the bridge and replaced it with an eight-lane tunnel (but two lanes are for transit and bicycles, so really only six lanes). Construction will start in 2026. It will be at 100% capacity ten seconds after it opens in 2030.

Tunnel connects Vancouver and Surrey and the I5 into the US
Vancouver 2025 population 780K : 2050 1.03m
Surrey 2025 population 750K : 2050 1.09m

Completely non-denominational politics comment - we trust these bozos with our tax dollars?
 
You're lucky, you get to ship those bozos over here for most of the year.
On this side they take four lane roads with parking and eliminate 2 lanes for bikes and then narrow the two remaining lanes so they can put in islands to beautify the place and provide refuge for the panhandlers. There are a couple of spots where the larger vehicles have to wait so they can nudge into the oncoming lane to get thier mirrors around street signs. 🙄
 
The thing I noticed back when I was crossing the border twice a week was that in the US, they worked at night when traffic was minimal and kept as many lanes open as possible, while in Canada they work during the day when traffic is maximum and they both reduce the lanes to one and slow traffic to practically zero.
 
Back
Top