I'd have to look up statistics then, just based on experience I would've said the USA was safer than Canada. I would think the chance of a serious accident is much higher in Canada nowI was thinking of the USA but probably both.
I'd have to look up statistics then, just based on experience I would've said the USA was safer than Canada. I would think the chance of a serious accident is much higher in Canada nowI was thinking of the USA but probably both.
We found Naples to be pretty bad. All the motorcyclists seem to be trying to get to their destination before the backpack explodes. They think nothing of driving straight into oncoming traffic. Yet we didn't see a single accident.
(Bear in mind that we in the UK drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right.)
Our favourite part of being in Italy for a month was Sicily. Absolutely loved it. We would have moved to Palermo the minute we got there. Siracusa would have been a close second. Just something about that place.Italy is a great place to live!
While living in Italy we visited Napoli. With the reputation for theft etc. we left our car home and took a rental. No dramas but I don’t recall seeing one car with straight sheet metal…..
There was a little story going around about a couple on their honeymoon in Napoli. They were worried about having their car broken into for the radio, it was common at the time to have quick release slide ins for that very reason (you’d see people walking in the park with radio in hand).
They took the radio to the hotel and left a note on the dash “no radio”. Next morning; no car but the note was under a rock with a message added “don’t worry about the radio we can get one”.
I was lucky I only had someone break off a pair of scissors in the lock and I had an alarm!
Now scooter drivers, that’s a topic for another day…….
D 😎
Our favourite part of being in Italy for a month was Sicily. Absolutely loved it. We would have moved to Palermo the minute we got there. Siracusa would have been a close second. Just something about that place.
I can't remember for sure but we did go to the Teatro Massimo in Palermo which was used for the operatic climax in Godfather III.Did you go and visit where they filmed part of the Godfather ? Its along drive up that hill to Forza d’Agrò and visiting the Bar Vitelli.
Hi Dave,
I've had exactly that experience, going round a roundabout the wrong way. I blamed it on being tired from the ferry crossing and the 400 mile drive home. Fortunately it was only in a supermarket car park exit and no one was coming in.
I'd have to look up statistics then, just based on experience I would've said the USA was safer than Canada. I would think the chance of a serious accident is much higher in Canada now
I think @Chicken lights was saying the opposite?You are correct Dave. It has always been that way. It was one of the key points I used to make in my course on US vs Canada for my American colleagues. Nothing has changed in recent years. In fact the difference is actually growing.
Between 2011 and 2021, Canadian fatalities declined by 18%, while U.S. fatalities increased by 33%. In 2021, Canada's rate was 4.7 deaths per 100,000 people, compared to 12.2 in the U.S.. Factors contributing to Canada's lower rate include stronger impaired driving and speed enforcement laws.
There are places in Canada that go against the trend though. Remote locations tend to have higher fatality rates because of higher rates of drinking and driving, and fewer people using their seatbelts.
In general, Canadians are more likely to comply with the law. But things are changing.....
I was. I did a cursory google search and the statistics I saw were based on mortality rate per 100,000 people, as @Susquatch referencedI think @Chicken lights was saying the opposite?
It's tough to stereotype a whole country.In general, Canadians are more likely to comply with the law. But things are changing.....
The "law" doesn't dictate safe driving practises, that's why I say, from what I've seen, the USA is safer to drive in. The crap I see in Canada doesn't happen in the USA (as much)
I think @Chicken lights was saying the opposite?
I'm not sure why mortality rate dictates ranking safety ratings? In Canada police no longer lay careless or dangerous driving charges for accidents, so is that also not a factor? Wouldn't you want to have repercussions for poor driving?
I can't argue against stats, but I can count on my own observations to form an opinion. Keep in mind if you removed Cali Florida and Massachusetts from the USA overall score card for driving safety, things would change. Just like for crime statistics, if you remove Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, St Loiuis and Detroit, all of a sudden the USA does better for crime stats.The stats clearly say your observations are wrong both in terms of fatalities per capita, accidents per capita, and per mile driven
Canada does not have freeways. Ontario has some 4 series highways, which are abysmal. Quebec has some four lane roads, like the 30 and 20 and 40, which are terrible. The rest of the country has the Trans-Can, which barely qualifies as a highway.I don't know how freeways differ in our two countries. But generally speaking, freeways are safer than rural roads. Perhaps your frequent use of freeways skews your observations?
In Mexico we had plane watchers. I got out to deal with beurocracy and co-jo arranged security and then buggered off. I went to retrieve my stuff. Pancho is sitting in a lawn chair in the shade of the tail, sombrero pulled down, quite relaxed. At fifty feet the shotgun starts to swing slowly in my direction, a few more steps and it lines up, I stop to identify myself, shotgun starts to come up. I decided that new beachwear would be kinda fun.In Namibia, we paid car watchers, think of it like pay parking.
Sheeee-it. Half the vehicles on the road en route to work, at work & back from work qualify for poor driving. And a large segment of those are so-called "professional" drivers.Wouldn't you want to have repercussions for poor driving?