• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

Reminds of a warning sign that said "DO NOT DRINK THE WATER"
Prominently mounted over a drinking fountain at the Coquihalla highway toll booth rest stop...
 
It's likely gonna leak like a $3 garden hose so check the oil often 😀

Ya, but shouldn't that be "regularly" then? I've never heard of a regulary. Even regulatory would make some sense. But regulary? Wtf does that mean?

Maybe we should ask @jorogi. Apparently, whatever it is, he had his nose in for a while.....
 
Walked into COSTCO last night and my wife noticed that the office chair we bought a week ago was $40 off. She got the $40 credit. Today I was changing oil for last out of 5 vehicles and I noticed as I pulled the various filters out of the box that that the $31 cabin filter for my truck was missing. Called the store and asked if it was sitting there. They checked and stated they don't have any filters of that part # anywhere in the store currently. Hmmm... Where did it go?

As my late father-in-law would always say, "Win some, lose some."
 
One of the side windows on my P/U 's canopy shattered, I guess , I had passed a couple of dump trucks on the freeway. As it was simple smoked dark glass so I thought, no problem. It was, most auto glass shops don't do that anymore. I did find one, a father-daughter operation. Then insurance company misplaced my file, that added a week. Hard to get good help now-a-days. On one hunting trip up North,I had gotten the rear window replaced with Lexan as it was much quicker . But Lexan gets cloudy with time, enough so I couldn't see out the back. I'm a lousy driver anyway, so using mirrors had me backing over a smart car. I wanted glass again. But to slide the window frame out, I had to remove one of the supports for my boat loader.Stands to reason that was a job I needed to do. Effectively immobilizing my truck. That was why I was annoyed at the adjuster. As it was, getting custom fitted glass tempered was now a three week wait. The kids up North hadn't got the rear glass (Lexan) right, when I brought the glass and frame to the shop he followed the kid's mistake Only a little worse. There is no guarantee Lear did the canopy right in the first place anyway. I'll get it to work It's only a canopy, besides it already leaks.

You can't win em all.
 
I felt like a magnet for bad drivers today.

One driver cut across 2 lanes to get in my lane without shoulder checking and nearly hit me. Had to put on the brakes to avoid being hit. Then blasted him with the horn. Drove past him later and he sheepishly looked over and gave a friendly wave of the hand.

Later today I was driving a friend's car to their place of work after picking it up at a mechanic's. Had to stop at a 4 way intersection to wait for a train. My street, north and south, has STOP signs. East and west are uncontrolled. Train passed through and I am waiting to proceed after the east/west traffic passes. Soon as traffic clears I am driving heading north when HOLEEEE SH*T! - I hear a horn blasting! Turn to look over my left shoulder and I am blinded by headlights from the truck that had to stop before hitting the driver's side! Drove to my friend's place of work and then went back to the location of the near collision with my ride home to see what I missed. This idiot was entering the street from a back lane/alley that intersects the street at a right angle. Since when do people entering a street from an alley way have the right of way???😡

One of those days....but thankful both accidents were avoided.
 
I felt like a magnet for bad drivers today.

One driver cut across 2 lanes to get in my lane without shoulder checking and nearly hit me. Had to put on the brakes to avoid being hit. Then blasted him with the horn. Drove past him later and he sheepishly looked over and gave a friendly wave of the hand.

Later today I was driving a friend's car to their place of work after picking it up at a mechanic's. Had to stop at a 4 way intersection to wait for a train. My street, north and south, has STOP signs. East and west are uncontrolled. Train passed through and I am waiting to proceed after the east/west traffic passes. Soon as traffic clears I am driving heading north when HOLEEEE SH*T! - I hear a horn blasting! Turn to look over my left shoulder and I am blinded by headlights from the truck that had to stop before hitting the driver's side! Drove to my friend's place of work and then went back to the location of the near collision with my ride home to see what I missed. This idiot was entering the street from a back lane/alley that intersects the street at a right angle. Since when do people entering a street from an alley way have the right of way???😡

One of those days....but thankful both accidents were avoided.
Welcome to Canadian drivers

It's a disgrace out here unless you're in the boonies where people can still drive
 
Welcome to Canadian drivers

It's a disgrace out here unless you're in the boonies where people can still drive.

I almost wonder if the guy coming out of the alley wasn't hopped up on goof juice. That near miss really caught me off guard because in the moment I had no idea where he was coming from. Once I went back to look I could see how I never seen him coming and that he would have been 100% at fault in a collision.

Screenshot 2025-10-30 215419.png

EDIT - This is exactly where the near miss with the truck took place. The vehicle in the intersection is exactly where I was when the truck represented by the yellow arrow almost hit me. Originally I would've been back behind the crosswalk where the STOP sign is waiting for traffic to clear on 23rd street. Knucklehead comes out of the alley and tries to go straight through like RIGHT OF WAY doesn't apply.
 
Last edited:
Hah, you're so civil and polite on the prairies, round here he would have flipped you the bird.

Not always.

A couple years ago I was driving along listening to a local radio station. The DJ was talking about a road rage incident in the city where he "supposedly" cut someone off on the freeway. The offended party was a lady driving a minivan. Apparently she drove on the shoulder of the freeway to catch up to him on his passenger side and then proceeded to ram his vehicle. After the collision he pulled over and she did as well. Don't remember what became of that confrontation. It can get crazy just like in the big cities.
 
I almost wonder if the guy coming out of the alley wasn't hopped up on goof juice. That near miss really caught me off guard because in the moment I had no idea where he was coming from. Once I went back to look I could see how I never seen him coming and that he would have been 100% at fault in a collision.

View attachment 72279

EDIT - This is exactly where the near miss with the truck took place. The vehicle in the intersection is exactly where I was when the truck represented by the yellow arrow almost hit me. Originally I would've been back behind the crosswalk where the STOP sign is waiting for traffic to clear on 23rd street. Knucklehead comes out of the alley and tries to go straight through like RIGHT OF WAY doesn't apply.
Waterloo put in light rail, like Calgary has. I got caught a couple times making a legal RH turn on a red light, when traffic to my right got an advanced green to make a left or a u-turn. I asked the regionals and was told "you both have the responsibility to not run into other vehicles" 😀
 
Waterloo put in light rail, like Calgary has. I got caught a couple times making a legal RH turn on a red light, when traffic to my right got an advanced green to make a left or a u-turn. I asked the regionals and was told "you both have the responsibility to not run into other vehicles" 😀

I don't see how the guys making a left are a problem, they are not in your way. U turn is another matter! Are u turns even legal at a light? I would have guessed not. But even if they are, I would think they would place high onus on the guy making the u turn over you.

On the other hand, I think that the whole reason for you having to stop before proceeding is to give you time to watch out for other traffic.

I like the version that says everyone has a responsibility to avoid accidents. That's what I always told all my kids and grandkids when they were learning to drive. Nobody wins when they are right but dead. It's called defensive driving.
 
I don't see how the guys making a left are a problem, they are not in your way. U turn is another matter! Are u turns even legal at a light? I would have guessed not. But even if they are, I would think they would place high onus on the guy making the u turn over you.

On the other hand, I think that the whole reason for you having to stop before proceeding is to give you time to watch out for other traffic.

I like the version that says everyone has a responsibility to avoid accidents. That's what I always told all my kids and grandkids when they were learning to drive. Nobody wins when they are right but dead. It's called defensive driving.
U-turns are now legal in KW, at posted intersections. Because of how they set up the rail, some businesses are hard to access. No, making a left isn't an issue I'm just saying they use an advanced left to pull a u-turn.

They are making a legal u-turn on an advanced green. I would be making a legal RH on a red light, with no traffic oncoming to my left.

You are correct, at a red light I'm responsible to watch for traffic, before proceeding
 
I was looking for an appliance replacement part and landed on a Canadian website that I often buy from. This message was front and center:

Cashless.png

Cashless. I guess it solves some problems for the business owner - counterfeit bills, theft from the outside and inside, employees who can't count change, transporting money to the bank...

Contrast that with another store I was dealing with today. Store associate answered the phone. Asked about an item, he said he would go and check but wondered if I could be put on hold. I said "sure" then listened to the phone message while I waited. On the automated message it stated something along the lines of "our staff is currently busy but a human will be with you shortly". As the kids today would say, "they're flexing" (I think I used that correctly...). Stores now be bragging that they got "genuine real humans" to talk to. Not like those AI jerks across the street. 😀
 
Hi Guys,

A few years ago, pre COVID, I was on holiday in Asti, Italy in my camper. I was stood at a traffic lights with a street cafe on my right. When a car pulled from behind, drove through on the pavement to get in front of me, then continued on through a red light. The Italians are total suicide merchants, they think nothing of driving on the wrong side of the road on a left hand bend.

(Bear in mind that we in the UK drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right.)
 
The Italians are total suicide merchants, they think nothing of driving on the wrong side of the road on a left hand bend.
We found Naples to be pretty bad. All the motorcyclists seem to be trying to get to their destination before the backpack explodes. They think nothing of driving straight into oncoming traffic. Yet we didn't see a single accident.
 
Hi Guys,

A few years ago, pre COVID, I was on holiday in Asti, Italy in my camper. I was stood at a traffic lights with a street cafe on my right. When a car pulled from behind, drove through on the pavement to get in front of me, then continued on through a red light. The Italians are total suicide merchants, they think nothing of driving on the wrong side of the road on a left hand bend.

(Bear in mind that we in the UK drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right.)
I saw similar on my evening commute yesterday. Traffic was backed up for about 400m behind a traffic light and someone drove that entire distance in the oncoming lane to get to the left-hand turn at the intersection. Including cresting a blind hill.

Weird to think that both Canada and Italy are, at least statistically, safer places to drive than our neighbors down south.
 
Back
Top