• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

Okay, so... The Pixies I know reasonably well (though they're pretty far from punk), but I don't know the other two - will investigate.

The Minutemen were amazing. They were clustered in with hardcore, as they were on SST and had a very close kinship with Husker Du. But they were unlike anyone else on the scene for rolling free jazz and folk (!) into their songs - the lengths of which inspired the band's name. D.Boon's death was a real tragedy. Watt and I were on a music mailing list together many years ago, and what he wrote when he joined Iggy's reborn Stooges still brings me to tears. It was great to have The Secondmen play here (pre-COVID, iIrc) and have a chance to say hi.

Point of reference: The theme music to Jackass is an Minutemen tune.
 
Yeah, but why bother, it's not worth anything. You could almost buy a new one for what it's going to cost to repair that one.
The hours of enjoyment and problem solving I get from repairing a century-old lathe or drill press are significantly more valuable to me than the dollar cost. I am staggeringly grateful for the environment I live in that allows me the time, money, and health I have to fulfill my interests.

During my working career, I trained a lot of salespeople. The first question I asked each recruit is "What car do your drive?"Very few of them drove 1990 Yugos. Which then allowed me to segue into a discussion of cost versus value. The value I get from repairing a made in USA 1896 lathe greatly exceeds the value I see in a poorly-made new off-shore lathe of equivalent cost.

My <new> 1932 Barnes #5 11x30 manual lathe has cost me about $1000 so far. It weighs about 350 lbs, can spin a 15" disc in the gap, and was built without a spec of plastic in its design. 100% recyclable cast iron, steel, and bronze. Compared to a brand new $1000 Vevor 7x12 lathe, the Branes is bigger, heavier, stronger, can take a deeper cut, and will likely outlive me. Highly unlikely a Vevor 7x12 will still be functional 20 years from now.
 
The hours of enjoyment and problem solving I get from repairing a century-old lathe or drill press are significantly more valuable to me than the dollar cost. I am staggeringly grateful for the environment I live in that allows me the time, money, and health I have to fulfill my interests.

During my working career, I trained a lot of salespeople. The first question I asked each recruit is "What car do your drive?"Very few of them drove 1990 Yugos. Which then allowed me to segue into a discussion of cost versus value. The value I get from repairing a made in USA 1896 lathe greatly exceeds the value I see in a poorly-made new off-shore lathe of equivalent cost.

My <new> 1932 Barnes #5 11x30 manual lathe has cost me about $1000 so far. It weighs about 350 lbs, can spin a 15" disc in the gap, and was built without a spec of plastic in its design. 100% recyclable cast iron, steel, and bronze. Compared to a brand new $1000 Vevor 7x12 lathe, the Branes is bigger, heavier, stronger, can take a deeper cut, and will likely outlive me. Highly unlikely a Vevor 7x12 will still be functional 20 years from now.
Your sarcasm meter needs calibrating?🙂
 
I'll meet you halfway and counter with they are not punk but not too far from punk.

I could keep arguing this one, but I'll settle for "punk proximate" since they were produced^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hengineered by Steve Albini (RIP - when Albini died a couple of years ago we were all shocked - a heart attack out of nowhere. I wrote that up until then we knew, as bleak as things were, where America kept its stores of integrity: In Chicago. After that, it just seemed MIA.).
 
Back
Top