• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Reading Electrical Schematic Question ?

Proxule

Ultra Member
Please consider switching to vector mode if you have not all ready.
From the manual

8. How to enable Sensorless Vector mode

The standard motor control mode of the AC10
Inverter is VxF. This simple mode controls
motor speed by varying Volts and Frequency in
a specific ratio to maintain output torque.
The AC10 can also operate in Sensorless
Vector mode. This can improve motor
performance without requiring a separate
feedback device. Sensorless Vector mode
operates in the same way as VxF but performs
a number of calculations to improve low speed
torque.
These calculations require a rotating
“autotune” run with bare shaft during which the
Inverter operates for approx. 10s to gather the
necessary data.
For loads that cannot be decoupled from the
motor, a stationary Autotune is possible but
requires parameter F809 to be set manually. A
rotating Autotune is therefore the preferred
option.
To enable sensorless vector control first set the
parameter values specified in 8.1 and then
follow the steps described in 8.2 and 8.3.

Do the auto tune as instructed and be amazed of your bottem end torque !
GLuck

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Please consider switching to vector mode if you have not all ready.
From the manual

8. How to enable Sensorless Vector mode

The standard motor control mode of the AC10
Inverter is VxF. This simple mode controls
motor speed by varying Volts and Frequency in
a specific ratio to maintain output torque.
The AC10 can also operate in Sensorless
Vector mode. This can improve motor
performance without requiring a separate
feedback device. Sensorless Vector mode
operates in the same way as VxF but performs
a number of calculations to improve low speed
torque.
These calculations require a rotating
“autotune” run with bare shaft during which the
Inverter operates for approx. 10s to gather the
necessary data.
For loads that cannot be decoupled from the
motor, a stationary Autotune is possible but
requires parameter F809 to be set manually. A
rotating Autotune is therefore the preferred
option.
To enable sensorless vector control first set the
parameter values specified in 8.1 and then
follow the steps described in 8.2 and 8.3.

Do the auto tune as instructed and be amazed of your bottem end torque !
GLuck
Hi @Proxule I have two Hitachi WJ200 VFD's which have the sensorless vector control features. One on the lathe, the other on the milling machine. What are the advantages and disadvantages of utilzing this feature? I read,

"Sensorless vector control is a flux vector control where the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the AC voltage supply to the motor is varied to keep the motor speed as desired."

On the mill, I almost never change the VFD frequency, and change the spindle speed with it's gearing. But on the lathe, I do vary the frequency to change spindle speeds within one of the 4 (in high) gear selections.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hi @Proxule I have two Hitachi WJ200 VFD's which have the sensorless vector control features. One on the lathe, the other on the milling machine. What are the advantages and disadvantages of utilzing this feature? I read,

"Sensorless vector control is a flux vector control where the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the AC voltage supply to the motor is varied to keep the motor speed as desired."

On the mill, I almost never change the VFD frequency, and change the spindle speed with it's gearing. But on the lathe, I do vary the frequency to change spindle speeds within one of the 4 (in high) gear selections.
It does an autotune with your motor specs, So you input your V and rated amps and what not. Then it will do a uncoupled autotune to fill in its other technical parameters. Once done it will behave considerably different at lower fq. So for example.
I am drilling a 5/16 hole on my lathe at 1000 rpm, and then the next operation I part off at 300 rpm. All in the same gear lever setting on the lathe. Normally on a V/HZ setting VFD you would have less torque and you would hear cogging and struggling. ( it adjusts slip and and other technical settings, v/hz only adjusts voltage )

I am of course condensing the whole situation and explanation but there is no harm in trying the vector mode and auto-tune and listening and feeling the differences. If you do not like it - Swap back.

It really shines on my drill press where I leave it in 1 pulley settings from 150 rpm to 1500 rpm. and I can freely drill a 1 inch hole with out in stalling. It is a 2hp vfd rated motor running in SV mode.

gluck

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It does an autotune with your motor specs, So you input your V and rated amps and what not. Then it will do a uncoupled autotune to fill in its other technical parameters. Once done it will behave considerably different at lower fq. So for example.
I am drilling a 5/16 hole on my lathe at 1000 rpm, and then the next operation I part off at 300 rpm. All in the same gear lever setting on the lathe. Normally on a V/HZ setting VFD you would have less torque and you would hear cogging and struggling. ( it adjusts slip and and other technical settings, v/hz only adjusts voltage )

I am of course condensing the whole situation and explanation but there is no harm in trying the vector mode and auto-tune and listening and feeling the differences. If you do not like it - Swap back.

It really shines on my drill press where I leave it in 1 pulley settings from 150 rpm to 1500 rpm. and I can freely drill a 1 inch hole with out in stalling. It is a 2hp vfd rated motor running in SV mode.

gluck
Ok, I'll give it a whirl. Thank you.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What are the advantages and disadvantages of utilzing this feature?

I am sure others will argue, but this is my take:

In regular mode, the VFD basically tells the motor what to do and then assumes that the motor is doing what it's told. (That isn't quite what happens because the VFD has a fairly good idea of how disobedient motors are.)

In sensor feedback mode, a sensor on the motor shaft tells the VFD EXACTLY what the motor is doing. The VFD can use this info to adjust its output to provide a better output control of the motor.

In sensorless mode, the VFD measures the motors usage of the current, the voltage, and back emf to "measure" by proxy what the motor is doing. Since most motors don't have sensors built in this proxy feedback provides vastly superior control of the motor.

Switching back and forth between sensorless and regular mode will rather instantly convey a rather clear appreciation for the difference.

The smoothness at a given rpm and the way they change speeds especially from a dead stop is amazing.

Think of it a bit like a car accelerator pedal. When you press the pedal you can feel what is happening and control the rate of application to get what you want. Now imagine doing the same with earmuffs and blinders on. Sensorless vector lets the VFD see and hear what is happening.

Is it needed? No - the system will work just fine without it.

Is it desirable - HELL YA! - it's infinitely smoother. You WILL KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.