• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Reading Electrical Schematic Question ?

Downwindtracker2

I'm programing my Hitachi VFD and not succeeding . I get on/off and forward/reverse, next is speed control . It's not working. So first thing is to check my wiring. I'm no electrician, so it could be suspect, chuckle. When I look at the schematic, am I looking back or the top of the pot for the pin layout ? I would have to switch H and L. THX

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Did you intend to attach a photo?

I don't know about your VFD, but on the cheap huanyang I wired up, the speed control potentiometer needed the wires manually added to the Vcc and ground references in addition to the signal wire. Can you post a picture of both the breakout board, potentiometer, and the wiring diagram from the manual if there is one?

Downwindtracker2

It's a WJ200 . I got it to power up stage and ran it off the keypad, Run/Stop. I'm embrassed to say much too long. My wife helped with the photo. Learning is downrite painful for an old phart like me. I have the wires running from the pot into a block and from there into the terminals on the VFD. At the VFD end , those are the correct .

Attachments

• 20230320_110759.jpg
    20230320_110759.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 20

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Well assuming the wiring is good, as you say it looks pretty straight forward, you might need to change one of the settings within the VFD? On the few VFD's i've setup, you'll be referencing the manual to change some numbered parameter to tell the VFD to use the potentiometer as the speed reference.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I found this manual on google, I'm assuming it is applicable to your drive.

If you scroll down to section 3, it will explain how to change the parameter or function settings. 3-12 (or page 93 on the .pdf) should contain the information you need. The snapshot below is for quick reference. You are looking at editing function code A001. This table says the default setting for A001 is 02, which references "F001" on the previous page, which basically means there is no speed control, it is either on or it is off. Changing this A001 setting to 00 should tell the VFD to reference the potentiometer.

1679337527991.png

Downwindtracker2

I'm not sure about the wiring at the pot end , that's why the question . Yeah, once I'm sure about the wiring, that is the next stage, settings. A001 is set for 00 , but it barely rotates when switch on., and turning the pot has no effect.

I read over the manual alot of times, until my head hurt. It's pretty frustrating , once upon a time I could breeze through stuff like this and pick it up.

Last edited:

Xyphota

Ultra Member
You'll need to change the parameter setting mentioned above before you can start troubleshooting anyways as you won't be able to check if your wiring is the issue until this setting is changed.

Can you post a picture of your potentiometer? H & L in your schematic wired to the outside legs, and the signal leg in the middle. There is no danger of wiring the outside legs backwards, just that the potentiometer values will be opposite (i.e. potentiometer cranked all the way to the left will either be max speed or zero speed).

I would wire it up with L on the left side from your perspective of standing in front of it and leave the potentiometer dial somewhere in the middle of the range while you turn it on. Then sweep the dial left to right. If the motor slows down as you turn the dial to the right then just swap the H and L wires.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have the Hitachi WJ200 as well. Here is my POT for the lathe.

Attachments

• 20230320_145318.jpg
    20230320_145318.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230320_145416.jpg
    20230320_145416.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230320_145607.jpg
    20230320_145607.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 14

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Let me know if you need some help. I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff, and it took me forever to figure out the settings, but I can tell you the settings I'm using if that will help.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
THX, wiring is now the same as your . So it's the settings, more study is required.

Those VFD's have the most non-intuitive setup interfaces I've ever seen in my whole life. I literally hate them.

But I wasn't asked for my opinion during design process and I get no choice in the matter. Suffice to say that they are confusing, but it is worth hanging in there cuz once it works, it is amazing.

Downwindtracker2

I'll see if If I can get them, a better to learn how. But that doesn't work, I will ask.

These are designed as industrial units , not your average homeshop.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Let me know if you need some help. I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff, and it took me forever to figure out the settings, but I can tell you the settings I'm using if that will help.

Part of the problem is that different manufacturers use different settings.....