Re-create a rotary bore punch handle

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
The hexagon punch tool made some time ago is feasible to actually use, but because of the small Angle, each use needs to adjust the small drag plate to increase the bias Angle, and recently more use, so I am determined to make a new one.

First make an auxiliary tool (eccentric clamp)
IMG_5245.JPG IMG_5247.JPG IMG_5249_看图王.JPG IMG_5250.JPG IMG_5257_看图王.JPG
This time the eccentricity is set to 2.2 degrees

a smile

Premium Member
Thats interesting! What does the complete tool look like ?

Don
I don't think I can show the whole thing right now because I'm still working on it. I spent almost an afternoon driving a short shaft with a diameter of 25mm and a thick-walled steel pipe with a larger diameter. They are then pressed together by a press and welded together for reinforcement.

Now put it in the casing with the deflection Angle and start turning the large diameter steel pipe part. 2023_12_24_18_07_IMG_5265.JPG
With the increase in the frequency of using the lathe, I think my operating technique has improved greatly. The dimensions of the inner and outer diameter are very accurate, especially the inner diameter reaches the predetermined 42.00+0.01mm, which allows the bearing to be installed smoothly and maintain good working condition. Also, the surface finish is very good. This is my best inside diameter turning and I hope to keep it that way.
2023_12_24_18_11_IMG_5268.JPG 2023_12_24_18_11_IMG_5275.JPG 2023_12_24_18_11_IMG_5280.JPG
I thought I needed to give up playing catch-up and that it would be better to move the production process along quietly, which would allow me to avoid major errors. 2023_12_24_18_16_IMG_5292.JPG
I'll show you the final structure, and thanks for your concern, I think it'll be a good tool, so I'd like to share it with you.

I don't think I can show the whole thing right now because I'm still working on it. I spent almost an afternoon driving a short shaft with a diameter of 25mm and a thick-walled steel pipe with a larger diameter. They are then pressed together by a press and welded together for reinforcement.

Now put it in the casing with the deflection Angle and start turning the large diameter steel pipe part.View attachment 42003
With the increase in the frequency of using the lathe, I think my operating technique has improved greatly. The dimensions of the inner and outer diameter are very accurate, especially the inner diameter reaches the predetermined 42.00+0.01mm, which allows the bearing to be installed smoothly and maintain good working condition. Also, the surface finish is very good. This is my best inside diameter turning and I hope to keep it that way.
View attachment 42004View attachment 42005View attachment 42006
I thought I needed to give up playing catch-up and that it would be better to move the production process along quietly, which would allow me to avoid major errors.View attachment 42007
I'll show you the final structure, and thanks for your concern, I think it'll be a good tool, so I'd like to share it with you.
I'm pretty sure that if you are making it, it's going to not be a good tool....... It's going to be a great one. Looking forward to seeing the finished product, it might even get me going on my rotary broach project.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

Now put it in the casing with the deflection Angle and start turning the large diameter steel pipe part.View attachment 42003
View attachment 42004View attachment 42005View attachment 42006
I thought I needed to give up playing catch-up and that it would be better to move the production process along quietly, which would allow me to avoid major errors.View attachment 42007
nice finish !!!

a smile

Premium Member
I think I need some help with the rotary punch.
I also made a punch handle some time ago, because of the short time, I did not carefully turn the inner hole, resulting in the bearing position size is too large, so the bearing will have some movement, and then extended to the far edge position will have more difficult to shake.
According to the conventional theory, a larger size deviation will cause some problems in the operation of the equipment, such as durability, machining accuracy or increased tool wear. But I found an interesting problem in the process of using it: it seems that a larger size deviation makes the punch handle easier to use because it has plenty of wiggle room, which makes it easier to find the center of the reserved hole at the moment of rotation. I don't know if my speculation is correct, I hope to get a sure answer from the forum mechanic.
Because the bearings of the rotary punch handle I made recently are closely matched, but the hexagonal holes punched out have obvious traces of deviation from the center. (Also because I didn't set the knife very carefully). So, I need to know if a larger bearing shake is a worthwhile solution?

Attachments

• QQ图片20231228204917_看图王.jpg
    QQ图片20231228204917_看图王.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 3