• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Ratcheting Tap Handle

Tool

Downwindtracker2

Aw, CT strikes again. I don't see it on line. It wasn't cheap. I think I was surprised when I did find the second one for home. I have two so I'm good, but if I was desperate, I would try Amazon Germany. There are also tool stores that ship to NA . Handy if you want Stahwille wrenches.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Aw, CT strikes again. I don't see it on line. It wasn't cheap. I think I was surprised when I did find the second one for home. I have two so I'm good, but if I was desperate, I would try Amazon Germany. There are also tool stores that ship to NA . Handy if you want Stahwille wrenches.

You are full of cool ideas. I use Amazon U.S. all the time. Never crossed my mind to use Amazon Germany!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I was looking for tap sockets and came across a tap aligner. Interesting take on the problem. Does anyone have something like this? Care to comment?

I also discovered these fixed tap handles from mitutoyo at ITM Instruments canada. I ordered two. Shipping is $17.
https://www.itm.com/search?search=tap+wrench+mitutoyo

2345000.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone have something like this? Care to comment?

I have several sizes. They work with both drills and taps. Mine have replaceable bushings too. I almost never use them except when faced with unusual circumstances. They don't work that well but are sometimes better than nothing.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I also discovered these fixed tap handles from mitutoyo at ITM Instruments canada. I ordered two. Shipping is $17.

That's a good price considering Mitutoyo name. It looks to be the 'always locked' collet style. As opposed to the ones that have a forward/reverse/lock ratchet like att pic.
But if you want to use it in a mill or drill press, there are other models like Walton. For that kind of application I keep reverting to my homebrew arbors because I can make the body OD slimmer than the typical tap handles, provide more self alignment contact area to the tap body & the overall length is shorter. I can either grip it in collet or chuck & tap under power or leave it just a smidge loose & use the tommy bar for more control

Attachments

• 1667671318117.png
    1667671318117.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6855_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6855_edited-1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6765_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6765_edited-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6764_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6764_edited-1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was looking for tap sockets and came across a tap aligner. Interesting take on the problem. Does anyone have something like this? Care to comment?

2345000.jpg
Yes I have one of those and mostly like it but have busted the jaws out of it before. I find it is best to just get the tap started straight with it and then use a regular tap handle once in and the going gets tough. I likely did not have the jaws secured tight enough when I broke them.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
To tap a true straight hole you need two things.
#1 the tap needs be straight up and down
#2 the tap needs to be located directly over the center of the hole

The tap wrench aligner helps somewhat with #1 but #2 is still tricky. The first two of these tap aligners I've printed have too much slop and the tap wrench wobbles around so trying to get #1 is still judging by eye. To make that better I think It needs a slip fit. I think if you can achieve #1 then #2 may happen as the tap self aligns when pressing the tap into the hole?

I'm printing again but this is hitting the limits of the printer. I designed a hole of diameter 0.815" and got a hole 0.800 from the printer - I actually need 0.788 to 0.790
The printer does print a touch small - about 0.012" small on this part.

Adjusting and trying again.

Attachments

• 5ABDADC9-555B-429F-805F-256EF59AD5E6.jpeg
    5ABDADC9-555B-429F-805F-256EF59AD5E6.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 3

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You probably know this but just in case. Lots of just guys use tapping blocks. The holes are sized to be just a bit lager than tap thread OD so the the thickness of the guide provides the perpendicular tap orientation. Your eye does the initial centering. Usually once the tap starts to engage in hole, it self centers because starting taps are bullet tapered & after a few turns relies less on the guide. The downside to blocks is dedicated hole required for each tap size. And flat bottom doesn't align to circular objects like your vee, but they could be modified. I guess that's why you see handy-dandy guides in progressive common thread sizes.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-11-05 4.23.42 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-05 4.23.42 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5
  • SNAG-2022-11-05 4.24.21 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-05 4.24.21 PM.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 5

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You probably know this but just in case. Lots of just guys use tapping blocks. The holes are sized to be just a bit lager than tap thread OD so the the thickness of the guide provides the perpendicular tap orientation. Your eye does the initial centering. Usually once the tap starts to engage in hole, it self centers because starting taps are bullet tapered & after a few turns relies less on the guide. The downside to blocks is dedicated hole required for each tap size. And flat bottom doesn't align to circular objects like your vee, but they could be modified. I guess that's why you see handy-dandy guides in progressive common thread sizes.

Yup got one. It’s helpful but here you can see the bolt looks straight. It’s not. It’s out by a degree or so.

Attachments

• A3DFDD38-AD45-419C-A6A6-544DB2996818.jpeg
    A3DFDD38-AD45-419C-A6A6-544DB2996818.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 5CAA5263-C7D0-4EB9-977D-1B88F484639A.jpeg
    5CAA5263-C7D0-4EB9-977D-1B88F484639A.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 6

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup, that's the downside of any of the hand held blocks or alignment jigs. For accuracy, the absolute best time to tap a hole is immediately after you drilled the pilot hole on the exact same XY setting. Its also the slowest workflow because you are changing tools without repositioning. But with DRO its plenty accurate to drill-drill-drill, then tap-tap-tap. If one has many, many holes the tapping head starts to look more enticing.