• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Random stuff

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Had some putter time on my hands recently.

- I bought a better (higher amp duty) power bar & mounted it to the rear panel cover of my mill. That keeps chips from going into where the magic smoke is kept inside when it was laying on the floor. And the cords are tied back & elevated off the floor so I can get in there with a broom to clean swarf.

- Found some kind of rubber foam ?maybe mechanics drawer liner? to replace my curled up piece of offshore linoleum. Just made a pattern & put it down with industrial double stick tape

- Found these graduated tapered alignment pins (KBC ~ $30). There's been a couple times I could have used something like these, they will come in handy.

- (unpictured) I had a leftover roll remnant of what I think is furnace metal duct tape. Its aluminum I believe with a very sticky adhesive. Not duct tape like Red Green duct tape (the cloth substrate stuff). Anyways I wrapped a part I didn't want marred with the chuck jaws & it worked well. Also to build up shim thickness like a pin in a hole or a single strip that needs to stay put or a few lamination one stuck to another. I was thinking if you laid a strip on the floor with a big capacitor hooked up, it might make an interesting mouse trap border haha.

Attachments

• IMG_8036_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8036_edited-1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8037_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8037_edited-1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8047_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8047_edited-1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8079_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8079_edited-1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8080_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8080_edited-1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Had some putter time on my hands recently.
- Found these graduated tapered alignment pins (KBC ~ $30).

I used alignment pins years ago after an old experienced guy showed me why they are worth their weight in gold. Similarly, I discovered the same thing about chucking reamers (below) even in hand drills.

One of those tools you think: "Man, that's overkill."

Then you need them and think: "I just embarrassed myself. I should have used these years ago."

And that's the collision of humility and practicality.

Attachments

• cr.JPG
    cr.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: