Quill issues in Bridgeport clone

88hillman

On the weekend I was using the 9x49 clone and had some issues with the quill feed. This is the manual feed on the right hand side, not the power feed on the left side. Attempting to drill holes in the same fashion as a drill press, I noticed that the manual quill feed would catch or hang up intermittently. Looking closer, the hub for the lever moves in and out with what seems like far too much play. #176 in the image below. Has anyone run into this before or have suggestions before I start pulling parts off?

Bridgeport manual qull feed handle.png

88hillman

There appears to be a circlip on the other side that should secure shaft #166 above. (Thanks to H&W Machine Repair and Rebuilding for the images!)

The shaft won't pull out but it does feel like it's not located properly.

1710972189799.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Most of those things have a dog clutch or a castle nut of some kind that allows you to reclock the handle.

It should be able to engage and disengage so maybe those parts are a bit worn or need adjustment.

Also, maybe the clock spring is binding or too tight. It isn't supposed to be able to lift the quill - just hold it in place.

88hillman

I'll have to take it apart to see. After watching more videos it doesn't look so bad. The auto-feed mechanism had me worried.

Now I believe the circlip has come off the shaft allowing it to migrate to the right. Either the pinion gear pushing the quill up and down is coming off the rack slightly or the clutch adjustment for the automatic feed is too tight. Either the rack or the clutch are causing the binding.

Either way, something is allowing the shaft to move back and forth far too much.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Either way, something is allowing the shaft to move back and forth far too much.

When you say back and forth, what do you mean?

Toward you and away?
Up and down?
Or in and out?

And what shaft do you mean? Please refer to the drawing you provided earlier for numbers so we are all looking at the same thing.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok, I think I'm on your page now. Thanks for clarifying the details for us.

You should be able to see if 166 is moving too by watching 172.

I don't have my Bridgeport anymore, but my Hartford BP Clone is VERY similar. I'll take a closer look next time I'm in my shop - prolly tomorrow. Too busy installing a stupid farm sink to keep my wife happy (for today) today.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@88hillman - what do you mean by “hang up” with respect to the manual feed?

My Bridget started getting hard to pull up or down at the start of travel (like the first two inches). It wouldn’t let the quill do its thing- check out this: