• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Quick Change Tool Post QCTP

Lous Creek

Oh the bit goes on the flat cut / shiny side, I still have to cut the slot and drill and tap the holes just like any other tool holder. I just didn't have a way till tonight to mill the slot.

Lous Creek

129455d1423071520-fs-omni-post-quick-change-tool-post-omnipost.jpg

Much like the pic above, as you can see you can have 90 deg or 30 deg or what ever angle you choose to mill for your tool holder. The set screw that's parallel to the big hole is the height adjustment, it just rests on the bottom of the tool post where that large shoulder is/ Those cuts around the perimeter are indexing points. I didn't bother with the indexing feature.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Interesting Lous. Did you bore those big holes on your mill? What keeps the tool post from just slipping around the post - just friction on the post? And what did you blacken with? What product and where did you get it?

Lous Creek

No that is a stock photo from another site, the first photo with the steel rule is my set up. Also yes I try to do all the work I can on my lathe even milling. I used my four jaw and simply centered it on the hole I wished to drill and then opened it up to 38mm with a boring bar. On my next holders I'll use a 1.25in hole saw to waste it out faster then bore it out to 38mm. Also that clamp arrangement should be super strong as its 38mm dia and an inch tall so it shouldn't be going anywhere. Best of all I had the scrap under the lathe bench and no dovetail cutter to buy.

Janger if you're having troubles with your tool post rotating under load try making a dedicated threaded hold down bar, I threaded a piece of 3/8 bar and welded a plate to the bottom for the anti turn feature. Also extend the hold down bolt well above your tallest turret, that's why I use coupling nuts to get lots of surface area on that screw. You can also try turning the bottom of your current tool holder with a decent recess so it resembles a ring and acts like a shoe, I can get a pic if need be.

Oh and as for blacking you can try flame blacking like they did in the old days, or just keep the parts well oiled.

Lous Creek

image.jpg
So here is a shot of the omni post getting the tool bit slot milled on the lathe. I would say that it is very stout once you get it dialed in, I say that because I didn't come aboard it at first and it swung obvious by the milling mistake you can see.

Side note you can see the homemade MT2 .375in collet in the spindle, I didn't have that tight enough either so it walked out but now I've got the reins. I had to bore out a coupling nut so I could tighten down my drawbar better.