• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Quick and dirty cube van bumper

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
here is a quick little Saturday morning project, a guy I have made a few catalytic converter cages for messaged me a week or two ago about making him a new bumper for one of his cube vans, seems one of his guys just kept going after the crunch.

it wasnt top of my list, but i had a few weeks to get to it, it really wouldnt take long, and i could just get to it when i had an hour or two of spare time. So i had him send my a bunch of pictures with a tape and away we go.

no beveling, just gapped the joints and welded both sides, he is coming by later this week, ill drill the various holes for mounting, then off to the galvanizers

Anyways, pictures!

IMG_20240427_122809.jpg IMG_20240427_123235906.jpg IMG_20240427_103325345.jpg IMG_20240427_110001803.jpg IMG_20240427_113838377.jpg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice work.

I stopped at the restore the other day, and was sitting in my car about to leave when a driver pulled in with a cube van backing up to the dock. She couldn't see, then looked at me and I started giving her the "distance to go" gapped hand sign. All was good, we were closing the gap, then she just kept going and slammed into the dock lol. Shrugged her shoulders and laughed. I tried. Would be never ending business following them around.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Haha, when I was 17-18, I had a Datsun 510, that was all, shall we say, dilapidated. The bumpers were rusted all out falling apart. A cop pulled me over and said it wasn't safe and that I needed to get a new one. No tickets, just a warning. (They did that back then, go figure!)

So I got a piece of 2x8 lumber, routered the edges 45°, and had a company router engrave Datsun on the face and attached it to the front. Looked real sharp...well, it did back then. Wish I had a picture.

Ironman

Ultra Member
That step will be beat to death like the others and there is no cure for stupid. But maybe those energy absorbing hydraulic bumpers they used to have would help it live longer. I thing energy absorbing in today's car means a tube that will crumple. Something that would push in when hit and allow the deck to pop out when the load is off it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I thing energy absorbing in today's car means a tube that will crumple. Something that would push in when hit and allow the deck to pop out when the load is off it.

It's a good idea but won't protect you from stupid.

Canada's bumper laws specify that a car's safety systems must continue to function normally after a straight on impact of 4 km/h to the front and the rear, and to the front and rear corners of 2.5 km/h. Essentially, this means no damage. Above that, they act as part of the occupant protection system (energy absorbing) as opposed to a safety equipment protection system.

When I retired in 2007, these standards did not apply to trucks. That may have changed, but I would guess not.

Instead, trucks have under-running requirements to stop other vehicles from diving down under a truck and potentially decapitating the occupants of other vehicles.