• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Quick and dirty brass pour questions.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ll eventually pick up one of these for smaller castings I’ve had the spin caster for a couple of years with the crucibles for it.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
While on the subject of casting brass i would mention i watched a utube video of a guy that melted down a large amount of empty cartridge cases into a solid block then milled a usable tool from the block. Cartridge cases are not pure brass but a alloy that could be put towards decorative pieces. 22rimfire cases are not reusable as are centerfire but mostly free at a lot of ranges.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
While on the subject of casting brass i would mention i watched a utube video of a guy that melted down a large amount of empty cartridge cases into a solid block then milled a usable tool from the block. Cartridge cases are not pure brass but a alloy that could be put towards decorative pieces. 22rimfire cases are not reusable as are centerfire but mostly free at a lot of ranges.

This I would like to do. But all the hassle makes it hardly worthwhile when I can buy brass by the pound already in the shapes I need.

The thrifter in me isn't happy about it though....

trevj

Ultra Member
IIRC, the standard Brass Alloy used in Cartridge cases is called 95-5, 95 percent Copper, 5 percent Zinc, and is considered a Deep Drawing alloy.

Dunno if you could actually burn out the Zinc, and simply add some Tin to the resultant pot, after skimming the dross, to make a Bronze alloy. Or sub in Tin for a replacement of lost Zinc.