QCTP question

Brian H

Super User
I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a new 1236 King lathe. I am having trouble finding out the size of the QCTP that is supplied with it (dealer couldn't tell me). After looking at the accessories on King's website, the tool holders are a 250-200. Does that make it a BXA size QCTP? and, if so, what size tool would fit in the tool holder?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am anxiously awaiting delivery of a new 1236 King lathe. I am having trouble finding out the size of the QCTP that is supplied with it (dealer couldn't tell me). After looking at the accessories on King's website, the tool holders are a 250-200. Does that make it a BXA size QCTP? and, if so, what size tool would fit in the tool holder?

No guarantees because there are exceptions. But I believe that most 12" lathes come with a BXA Size tool holder. The holders themselves are usually 5/8, but you can also get 1/2 and 3/4" holders. For a BXA the 3/4" ones are called "Tall" and 1/2" ones are called "Short". It's good to buy mostly 5/8 holders and add a few Talls and Shorts too. They will each provide more rigidity for tools of their design size.

You can also cut bigger tools down if need be and add thick shims to short ones. Just be aware that shims reduce rigidity.