• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Pyrex Recommendations?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For the record, I am appreciative of people who bring this (self brokering) method to our attention, because it is a hard pill to swallow & the couriers don't exactly inform you that paying the dinger fee isnt compulsory. I'm just saying for me personally, even armed with this knowledge, I would rather avoid the issue altogether. But sometimes that's not even possible, so any information is good information. My buddy is one of those characters that enjoys Stickin-it-to-The Man. Just like some people are professional price hagglers (i AM NOT). So I think he views his time at UPS grillingthe rep as a another dimension of 'fun'. He wasn't so chipper when they were ready to return his valuable package because he apparently failed to do this or that by some imaginary deadline they concocted, so just be aware...

On a related note, most USA companies just don't get our pain (or necessarily care). I recently placed an order with a USA vendor, went out of my way to say USPS which they offered, no UPS for the reasons we know. Sure enough, they slipped, in arrived on my door & 2 weeks later a 45$ dinger bill. I scanned the bill & forwarded to vendor with my order & emails & very politely said 'just an fyi, this is why I specified USPS, not UPS. They gave me a nice credit to more than compensate my $ troubles which was a nice gesture. I wasn't expecting this but obviously I will do business with them again.

Also what Canucks have to realize is that USPS (their post) may or may not pick up pre-paid parcels from their storefront the way UPS/Fedex does. So its understandable they don't want to pay someone to stand in line at a post office on a commercial level with a bunch of parcels. So its a business decision whether they even offer USPS. If Canuck orders are say 10% of sales & involves extra costs, never mind customs forms, its understandable why they say screw it. Small niche businesses will take this extra step. So you just have to check beforehand. That's why places like DYK exist, There is a market need to fill this gap of transportation / trade stupidity between neighboring countries.

Last edited:

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I found that if you whistle while waiting in the UPS facility (to pass the time) the time it takes to help you and get you out of there is significantly decreased. They will try to tell you the you were to advise the of the intent to self clear, but all I do is ask them to show me how to do so and where it says that I have to and they seem to realize that it is a much easier process to move me along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lincoln

Everlast welders, great quality and cheap. Ships Canada post and I've always recieved in two days
25$ for a large Pyrex cup setup.
I use them for tig welding ss exhaust tubing.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Everlast welders, great quality and cheap. Ships Canada post and I've always recieved in two days
25$ for a large Pyrex cup setup.
I use them for tig welding ss exhaust tubing.
Thanks for this.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I’m guessing that they used UPS or Fedex. Next time, tell UPS to hold the item and that you are going to “Self Broker”. They will provide you (you are entitled to) the commercial invoice. You go to the Calgary airport and ask to speak with Canada Customs. They will direct you to the office. The Customs Officer looks at your Commercial Invoice, asks you if the part is for commercial or private use. You explain that you are a hobby guy and they will charge you GST on the $58 USD or $74.82 CAD. You give them a Credit Card, and they charge you $3.74 (5% on $74.82) and stamp the Commercial Invoice. Then you take the stamped invoice and your receipt to UPS and ask for your item. They hand it over and you are good. All legal and perfectly within your rights. UPS, Fedex, etc will broker automatically on your behalf, but they assume that you will be ok with paying ridiculous brokerage fees..... and most just do.

Cheers,

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UPS wants $255 in fees to process a package for me :mad:

Thanks for putting this out there I called and asked them to clear it myself. We’ll see what happens

Chicken lights

Stopped at the border tonight, taxes came to $145, about what I expected on a USD $900 purchase. Fairly straightforward process, they emailed me the customs docs and once printed off took about a half hour to clear things.

UPS itself customer service isn’t great but the border part tonight was a breeze.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Next time, tell UPS to hold the item and that you are going to “Self Broker”. They will provide you (you are entitled to) the commercial invoice.

Hi Derek, I've read of this process, but the part that has always been a mystery is when the communication takes place; i.e. when do you tell them you're going to self broker? Whenever I've order something it results in a UPS guy standing on the doorstep with his hand out, there is no contact beforehand. Is that when you tell them? I doubt he's going to have the commercial invoice with him...who do you request it from? thanks

Chicken lights

Hi Derek, I've read of this process, but the part that has always been a mystery is when the communication takes place; i.e. when do you tell them you're going to self broker? Whenever I've order something it results in a UPS guy standing on the doorstep with his hand out, there is no contact beforehand. Is that when you tell them? I doubt he's going to have the commercial invoice with him...who do you request it from? thanks
Call UPS, they will email you the commercial invoice

TOBARApprentice

Super User
When the guy comes to the door you tell him to hold onto the package and that you ate going to self broker. Usually they have the commercial invoice right on the box. If he/she/they are “good people” then they will give you that invoice. If not get as much info as you can. I usually snap a few pics of the box, address, tracking number etc and ask for the direct number of the station where it will be held. Be sure to tell him that you are not declining the delivery and that you want it “held”. Then usually you have to call the UPS number and explain what you are doing and the path becomes remarkably self explanatory.

Make notes and don’t be bullied. They might say that you were to advise them in advance (nice yes, but not required). They operate on the assumption that most people just “pay the bill”, and most do. And if you aren’t prepared to do a bit of running around or a customs office isn’t readily available, it is a pain in the rear. That said, regardless of the work, I find it to be remarkably satisfying.

Good luck!!

Cheers.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent H

Ultra Member
I received the details of the brokerage fees before the package arrived and phoned and told UPS I would have to decline the package and questioned the "brokerage fees and other UPS fee's as I had already paid $40 USD for UPS shipping. I also pointed out that the package was worth less than $150 and with additional shipping I was getting over charged (I think it added up to $140 in shipping for a $130 part) . I had to pay a fee of $50 (way less than the original charges they had dreamed up and better than a 3 hour drive back and forth to the airport). About 2 weeks later I was refunded the $50 - I guess they had made some mistake?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Thanks....I've really wanted to do it. Part of the challenge is the 1/2 the day you'd have to take off and Person parking costs dissuade....but I get it, its about not being bent over by them. I remember looking at a UPS invoice once and there were iirc 11 different fees tacked on :mad:

Even quite apart from all the rip off shenanigans at the border played by the likes of UPS I've noticed that many American suppliers will ship for free anywhere "within the contiguous states." But as soon as it crosses the border which in my case is only an additional 75 miles the shipping fees become astronomical even when carried by USPS and Canada Post. So before the pandemic I used to regularly have my American purchases shipped to a UPS store near the border. I would pay a minimal holding fee at the UPS store and carry the item home across the border myself. The only additional fee I paid was the GST at the border.