• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Pyrex Recommendations?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I broke my last pyrex the other day and Amazon no longer stocks the ones I like. Some of the ones they do sell for the WP17 appear to have fitting issues, which is the main reason for breakage IMHO.

Any recommendations?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Pyrex cup on my TIG torch. They are see-through and great to use with a stubby torch head so you can see what you are doing.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yup, I like the Edge Cups because they have two O rings. This helps keep them on better I think. Otherwise they slip off and smash on the shop floor. Great TIG upgrade that helps you see better.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve bought from Weldmonger once but it was terribly expensive.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just got an email from Edge—they will ship to Canada...just waiting for the quote. It was so much easier when they were on Amazon.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've wanted to try those cups but shied away because of the cost.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks guys—got it figured out now. Edge was really good. Got a new kit with some cups. They ship up here for not bad prices. I use a 1/16 collet, and almost always a #5 cup (kind of of between 1/4" and 3/8" gas orifice). That combo lets me TIG from about 24 gauge to 1/8" (I'll pulse at about 0.5 pps at 22 gauge) which is mostly what I do. As mentioned, I like the Edge product because the double O ring seems to hold the Pyrex on better. Cheaper rigs I've used only have one and it seems the Pyrex falls off with a slight bump as it ages.

If you haven't used see through cups and a stubby torch before it's a pleasure—similar to first using an auto-darkening helmet for me at least. You can suddenly see so much better. Amazon does a few cheap kits for $30 buck if you want to try it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
The landed cost sucked donkey balls. When I spoke with them they told me other Canadians were reporting <$10 duty. The cups themselves with collet holder and collets were $58 USD. But by the time they were cleared, taxes and broker fees they cost me $150 CND.

I do have a Chinese set but they break a lot because the cups hall off frequently. That's why I like the Edge cups—that double O ring seems to solve the problem. I wish I had ordered more than two. When COVID is over I am going to buy a new luxury truck, drive down there, stay in a luxury hotel, eat steak every night and I'll still be further ahead.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy smokes that’s expensive!
I think my full stubby kit from Weldmonger was less than that :O

Have to have a think on that!

TOBARApprentice

Super User
The landed cost sucked donkey balls. When I spoke with them they told me other Canadians were reporting
I do have a Chinese set but they break a lot because the cups hall off frequently. That's why I like the Edge cups—that double O ring seems to solve the problem. I wish I had ordered more than two. When COVID is over I am going to buy a new luxury truck, drive down there, stay in a luxury hotel, eat steak every night and I'll still be further ahead.

I’m guessing that they used UPS or Fedex. Next time, tell UPS to hold the item and that you are going to “Self Broker”. They will provide you (you are entitled to) the commercial invoice. You go to the Calgary airport and ask to speak with Canada Customs. They will direct you to the office. The Customs Officer looks at your Commercial Invoice, asks you if the part is for commercial or private use. You explain that you are a hobby guy and they will charge you GST on the $58 USD or $74.82 CAD. You give them a Credit Card, and they charge you $3.74 (5% on $74.82) and stamp the Commercial Invoice. Then you take the stamped invoice and your receipt to UPS and ask for your item. They hand it over and you are good. All legal and perfectly within your rights. UPS, Fedex, etc will broker automatically on your behalf, but they assume that you will be ok with paying ridiculous brokerage fees..... and most just do.

Cheers,

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I’m guessing that they used UPS or Fedex. Next time, tell UPS to hold the item and that you are going to “Self Broker”. They will provide you (you are entitled to) the commercial invoice. You go to the Calgary airport and ask to speak with Canada Customs. They will direct you to the office. The Customs Officer looks at your Commercial Invoice, asks you if the part is for commercial or private use. You explain that you are a hobby guy and they will charge you GST on the $58 USD or $74.82 CAD. You give them a Credit Card, and they charge you $3.74 (5% on $74.82) and stamp the Commercial Invoice. Then you take the stamped invoice and your receipt to UPS and ask for your item. They hand it over and you are good. All legal and perfectly within your rights. UPS, Fedex, etc will broker automatically on your behalf, but they assume that you will be ok with paying ridiculous brokerage fees..... and most just do.

Cheers,

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm certain you are 100% correct Derek and I likely signed off on letting UPS be my preferred broker at some point (which I can undo by contacting them I'm guessing). When COVID is over I will investigate this, but right now limiting the number of places I go to is important. It's quite a racket though; I hear that in some cities UPS charges parking fees that are high enough to dissuade you from going to their offices to clear your own packages. Horrible, horrible tactics.

Having said this, I reserve the right to complain about the industry even though there are solutions out there :mad:

TOBARApprentice

Super User
UPS always grumbles when I self broker. And I understand because they then need to go and claim back funds from Revenue Canada.... My argument though is that if (in this case) the fee is less than $5, why would I be charged $80? I’m all for a free market, but being “bent over and made to beg for it” is just wrong. Charge $20 and most people would just think “that’s the cost”, but when getting a $30 item costs $150, something is wrong.

Fun fact, UPS and Fedex pilots are among the highest paid Pilots in the world.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My buddy explained this exact same process to me. I guess it works, but gives me a rash just thinking about it. Lately he said they are playing games. I might have the details wrong but you have to somehow inform them you intend to self clear before the first delivery attempt (how you would know that I'm sure is closely guarded secret). Then they are evasive about when its back at the depot available to be dealt with & they slow roll it? And I think he said they tried to ding him for some kind of storage or handling charge. Anyways he does it but he is wired that way. I hate standing in line for a Tim's so would find more pleasure getting a root canal.

The pandemic is messing everything up but I've had good results with DYK in Calgary if UPS/Fedex/courier is their go to mode. The US shipper sends to your address in Billings MT, typically much cheaper & faster transport rates. DYK clears & it gets trucked from border to Calgary where you pick it up. Fees are reasonable, primarily weight based.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My buddy explained this exact same process to me. I guess it works, but gives me a rash just thinking about it. Lately he said they are playing games. I might have the details wrong but you have to somehow inform them you intend to self clear before the first delivery attempt (how you would know that I'm sure is closely guarded secret). Then they are evasive about when its back at the depot available to be dealt with & they slow roll it? And I think he said they tried to ding him for some kind of storage or handling charge. Anyways he does it but he is wired that way. I hate standing in line for a Tim's so would find more pleasure getting a root canal.
Couldn't have said it better Peter. And even if I could, I'd have an medical event afterwards just from the stress of thinking about it. I did try to self-clear once, and I just wanted to fall on a sharp knife for the exact reasons you list above. When I know I am being messed with by companies, I go into Tasmanian Devil mode and, well...someone usually ends up reciting a "Respectful Workplace" policy to me before it is over.

I've heard anecdotally that people smell toast when they are having a stroke. I usually smell that burnt Bakelite smell that overheated circuit breakers emit when stuff like this happens. That can't be good.