• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Putting a little metal back into the over sized pulley bore.

This project started over on the truing work in the 4 jaw thread, I thought I would give it it's own thread for those others who, like me, are too cheap to buy another pulley that actually fits.
20230228_134034.jpg
First thing was to center it in the chuck. Then I bored it until the keyway just disappeared. I neglected to take a few pictures of the next bit so you will have to use the imagination a little bit as this tall lanky fella fumbles around in the pile of projects gone wrong for that perfect piece, and then turns it down .002" bigger than the hole previously bored.
20230228_171044.jpg
I put the pulley on the woodstove and the plug into the freezer for a while and then pushed them together by hand.
20230228_182221.jpg
Then, on the part line I drilled and tapped a 5/16" setscrew (Dutch key) to ensure it can't spin or work it's way out.....
...... To be continued, probably in the morning, the warden came back early.....

Well, the warden headed to work this morning and I was granted a day parole..... With conditions.:rolleyes:
However with only a few violations the life sentence still stands. :p
20230301_112515.jpg

Next up, I faced off the nub that I was holding with the chuck.
20230301_120733.jpg
Drilled a hole through the middle,
20230301_122213.jpg
Then I bored to final size.
20230301_192454.jpg
Now to drill for the grub screws and put in the keyway.

I'm sure that there are more precise methods, but this more than met my needs.
20230301_193637.jpg
I screwed a piece of 5/16" ready rod into each of the set screw holes (one at a time) 20230301_192931.jpg
Then I suspended it from the drill chuck and aligned the vise for as little deflection as I could and clamped it down 20230301_193737.jpg
Drilled with a letter F drill bit,
20230301_193445.jpg
And tapped it through, using the original threads as my guide. Just the keyway left.....

This was the first time I used the quill on the mill to cut a keyway, I have used the lathe several times and
the shaper just once.....
20230301_200600.jpg
I spent a little time lining up the cutting bit to one of the tapped holes. This was all done by eyeball. Being a 5/16" screw and a 1/4" key, there's a little bit of leeway.
20230301_200629.jpg
I'm a little ways into it here, but when you are first starting out you want to be careful that both sides of the cutter score the bore equally to be centered.
20230301_204806.jpg
Then after 5,019,647 strokes of the quill later, the pulley I got for free fits like it should.
You will only be able to take .001 - .002" cuts each time, and want to take a few spring cuts as you go....

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Okay, let me get this straight,,,, here's a guy that's bragging in another thread about having TWO shapers and wanting a third yet he's cutting keyways by hand! Now that's "pumping iron".

I think you should load up the bigger shaper and deliver it to @trevj and I'll be up for the smaller shaper in a couple of days!
:D:Do_Oo_O:p:p:p

BTW - nice job on the pulley.

The big shaper is a major project to get running properly, but will be well worth the effort when it's turn comes around. The problem with liking really old tools is that they have had a long life of abuse before they find their way to me.

mickeyf

I've found that when cutting internal keyways (on shaper, lathe, whatever) that it's helpful to cut a much undersized keyway first, then go through with the correct width cutter. It may actually be faster than trying to do it all with the final size cutter only (5,019,647 strokes!) depending on material, whether you're cranking by hand (lathe, mill quill) etc.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
This project started over on the truing work in the 4 jaw thread, I thought I would give it it's own thread for those others who, like me, are too cheap to buy another pulley that actually fits.
View attachment 31430
First thing was to center it in the chuck. Then I bored it until the keyway just disappeared. I neglected to take a few pictures of the next bit so you will have to use the imagination a little bit as this tall lanky fella fumbles around in the pile of projects gone wrong for that perfect piece, and then turns it down .002" bigger than the hole previously bored.
View attachment 31431
I put the pulley on the woodstove and the plug into the freezer for a while and then pushed them together by hand.
View attachment 31432
Then, on the part line I drilled and tapped a 5/16" setscrew (Dutch key) to ensure it can't spin or work it's way out.....
...... To be continued, probably in the morning, the warden came back early.....

Looks like someone likes to stay away from the Dutch pins haha. I with you on that 1. Nice work on the press fit the tap went well.
On a side note,
I think my warden is a secret agent for the WEF......

My net worth has been dropping since I asked where the snow brush went in the truck...things move in the other direction depending on value haha.
I'm just waiting to see when her electric chair will arrive from amizoom....
Bezo's better give her free shipping on that item, I don't wanna owe anything more in the afterlife haha

Last edited: