• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Purchasing Milling machine thoughts?

justin1

Super User
The prince auto come a longs would work for home use but I use mine at work and you need something you can really trust the load rating and the kitos are great and there rebuildable my favorite go too size with 20' chain. Work awesome for dealing with piping that isn't just a straight run another tool I couldn't live without

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_144240_01.jpg
    IMG_20230121_144240_01.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 10

justin1

Super User
Most industrial supply places carry them or another good brand is is CM I would recommend buying used as they can be pretty pricey but kito does make a nice 1/4 ton come a long but sky is the limit for how big you can get them

And if you buy used you can buy the ones with out the slip clutch in them what to watch for to tell if they have slip clutch is the newer ones come with black directionally knob were the older ones were yellow.

The good/dangerous thing about the non slip clutch ones is you can put pipe on the handle and push them till the chain snaps were the new ones have been safetified like ginder without trigger locks....

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
If you get a large snatch block, and some aircraft cable, you can “winch” stuff on and off a trailer with not much effort. I used to run a short chain across the deck, position the snatch block where I wanted it to pull from, then use the front tow hooks to yank stuff on the deck, letting you comfortably watch progress

justin1

Super User
A used king 1050vs

and yes 3 to 1 pully systems work great you can pull trees down with small car too if you get high enough ratio

Rauce

Ultra Member
Vertical mode yes, wonder if you can use this hoist in the horizontal mode like a come along? Just asking can't find anything saying it could or couldn't.
I’ve done it but it’s not ideal, the loop of chain jams a lot easier when used horizontally.

justin1

Super User
what’s a 3 to 1 pulley system? isn’t a single block just 1 to 1?
Ye just going threw the block once would be a 1:1 but if you add more pulleys you can change the ratios up too 15 ish before it becomes pointless larger cranes after 250t you can start to see how they use pulley ratios to make things move
3-to-1-Two-Pulleys-up-Top.jpg

justin1

Super User
Vertical mode yes, wonder if you can use this hoist in the horizontal mode like a come along? Just asking can't find anything saying it could or couldn't.
Ye you can but there is better options you can just use cable come a long and snatch blocks or can buy a turfer but there more expensive then the cable come a longs you can pick them up for 30$ brand new

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Ye just going threw the block once would be a 1:1 but if you add more pulleys you can change the ratios up too 15 ish before it becomes pointless larger cranes after 250t you can start to see how they use pulley ratios to make things move
3-to-1-Two-Pulleys-up-Top.jpg
Gotcha, I just meant a single block, not to increase pulling power, but to just yank stuff onto the deck or change direction of pull

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
? Not sure where the aversion to using a "lever hoist" horizontally is coming from, the typical use for this type of hoist (more often referred to as a come-a-long) is literally anything but vertical. Most manual vertical hoisting is done with a chain fall, and not very often a come a long.

Downwindtracker2

Kito looked like good ones, better than the company supplied one I used at work and much better than my PA ones. I've found chain falls less than ideal for angled loads .

That sounds like a good price.

justin1

Super User
Not sure if there is an aversion to using the horizontally the other fellow sounds like maybe he has a model the doesn't swivel or using it too close to ground,

But when it comes to moving something more then 10 feet horizontally a come a long gets kinda old. I do a lot of piping and we use them 90% of the time horizontally and vertically when we don't have to go very far.

justin1

Super User
Kito looked like good ones, better than the company supplied one I used at work and much better than my PA ones. I've found chain falls less than ideal for angled loads .

That sounds like a good price.

I've used few brands over the years and kito and CM i like the most I find the cheaper versions don't like to free wheel very nice and get locked up if you shock load them or try to get that last inch.

I've had to transfer piping from chain fall to chain fall to get into some spots and ye after 20° angle the hand wheel chain just starts to catch but still faster then come along. The other shitty thing is having too much chain well working on bar grate floor and the chain likes knots lol

Rauce

Ultra Member
? Not sure where the aversion to using a "lever hoist" horizontally is coming from, the typical use for this type of hoist (more often referred to as a come-a-long) is literally anything but vertical. Most manual vertical hoisting is done with a chain fall, and not very often a come a long.
The quoted post made it confusing but I believe the question was about using a chainfall horizontally.

Downwindtracker2

I've used come-a-longs at least 10x more often sideways compared to up and down. My preference was a hoist, but if I didn't have one above me, a crane then a chain fall with the correct length of chain.