• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Professional youtubers have lost touch with reality.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Cutting edge is a great channel.

ABOM was really great in the first year or 2, then he 'got into a groove' and his celebrity got ahead of him. Since he's gone out on his own, he has slowly improved his explanations again. That being said, I'm not a fan.

Everett's channel is one of the very best. He really just shares his machining progress and challenges. It is the most honest machining channel out there.

yeah ICWeld. good stuff - and Pacific Arc Tig Welding, but he shills a little nowadays.

trlvn

Ultra Member
@Everett We know you're secretly a multi-billionaire and your 'average guy in the garage' persona is all just an act! ;) Seriously, I really enjoyed your machining videos and learned a lot surfing over your shoulder. When and if you can get some more, I'll be there.

Regarding the other channels, I personally think the thing to do is 'vote with your feet'! If you don't like what a Youtuber is doing, unsubscribe and find other content. Or get off Youtube altogether!

I've tried to watch some of the 'big name' channels (like Jimmy Diresta) and couldn't be bothered to finish the first video. If others like it, that's fine. It is not like there is a shortage of content.

Craig

deleted_user

Super User
I didn't get my channel started to be famous, nor am I a gifted maker, nor did I have any spectacular equipment, for sure. I appreciate to have a few things in my shop that others might not have access to, and also realize that many others have better gear, skills, equipment, and camera personality. In fact, I have learned much from the comments that people leave, both the positive and negative, and it has helped me improve.

I got into it because I was already making parts and pieces for myself and my buddies, and after seeing John Mills (doubleboost), a self professed "mechanic who pisses about," I decided to give it a shot. It has never been a goal to "get rich on YouTube." I was just hoping to be able to join in and share ideas with others who know more about these things than I do. Just like on this forum. It has been interesting to see how a number of people have been interested in some of my projects, and not in others. And that is totally fine by me, I'm not chasing the money. And yes, I sometimes get into making a tool to make a tool to make a thing, but it's partly the challenge so I can learn more, and sometimes due to cost/local availability for some things.

Getting to the point of the thread though, I have to say that I do agree with it in some cases. Some of the "big names" now have sponsorships, accounts with Patreon, and try to sell piles of merch to make money off it. And so, they churn out stuff in a "video factory" mentality. As an "unemployed bum wiper" (stay at home Dad with two small kids) would it be handy to make a few bucks off it? Sure! Let's all be honest, none of us would turn down a few extra dollars. I've even turned away a pile of people soliciting for "paid reviews," product promotions, and so-called "partner" deals. Not my cup of tea. I'm just screwing around in my shop and decided to put a camera over my shoulder.

In full disclosure, yes I do make a few dollars from the ads now on my channel but the ads are turned down as low as I could get them. And yes, it definitely only a few dollars. YouTube will now put ads on anything, including non-partner program channels, so this way at least I could minimize them and choose which types of ads can appear. That being said the couple small cheques a year I get from them just goes into small bits for the shop, it's certainly not even "side hustle" level. Interestingly, I get more views and viewer interaction from the car repair videos I've done for family and friends than I do from my machining projects.

Sorry if this seems to be a bit of a loose bit of prose but all I wanted to say is that although there are a number of "big names" who are making their YouTube maker/machinist/fabricator/etc. channels part of their staple income, most of us are just regular people who are tinkering and doing a grown up version of show and tell like we did in kindergarten. We all come from different backgrounds and have different things to share, and not all of us are experts (we are all still learning), but we can all still learn from each other even as amateurs.

Exactly why we all congregate on this site. Just different. :)

P.S. - And yes I do have channel stickers. And they are totally free to whoever wants one. Not for sale. ;)
dude I'll subscribe to your channel, because you didn't even use your post to promote it... what is the link

Crankit

Most of the ones I keep an eye out for is Everett, Dudley Toolwright, Oxtools. Woods Creek and AlwaysSunnyintheshop did great videos but they're not posting many videos anymore. mrpete gets a watch frequently as he's consistently pushing out his videos even if they're not all that interesting anymore. I agree Abom was pretty thick on the promotional videos for quite a while and I stopped watching most of his videos.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Be sure to watch Mr Petes other 1786 videos on the particular subject

LOL i actually really like his vids. He's a smart guy.

I dont watch nearly as much youtube as I used to. When I do now it is only for instruction/inspiration and I always take things with a grain of salt. But still it burns me to hear the utter BS some really high profile tubers will spout when they get thousands of dollars with of free equipment and then tell everyone else how affordable it all is...

Most recently I just watched a gentleman say how great this Chinese import tapping arm is, with the only complaint being that it is not as smooth as some models.... and only cost a few hundred bucks. Reality check, it costs $1200 bucks without any tooling.

I can't decide who is worse, but leaning towards those 3d printing guys.
Tapping arm why, tapped well over 1,000 8-32 last year, using a Dewalt cordless drill (get a high end model as it has electronic torque sensing).

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Tapping arm why

Some machinists use a tapping arm because it is 'cool'. If you are tapping less than 500 holes per year (or maybe 1000), a mill, mill drill or drill press is sufficient - and a $200-$400 tapping head makes it nearly effortless.

Some machinists use a tapping arm because it is 'cool'. If you are tapping less than 500 holes per year (or maybe 1000), a mill, mill drill or drill press is sufficient - and a $200-$400 tapping head makes it nearly effortless.
I have a tapping head and it slower than than the cordless drill. BTW I have seen tapping guns (modified specialized cordless drills) on the market last couple of years. Do not use impact drivers they snap taps, and avoid blind holes as they do as well with this method.

deleted_user

Super User
Thank you sir
Tapping arm why, tapped well over 1,000 8-32 last year, using a Dewalt cordless drill (get a high end model as it has electronic torque sensing).

Forgive me for this, BUT this is where I have to call out ableism.

Not everyone is physically equal and able to perform that same tasks. I have a autoimmune disorder that attacks my connective tissues and muscles. I need to avoid repetitive stresses more than others or I risk a "flare-up" that triggers a more wide spread inflammatory response that attacks my internal organs requiring medical intervention. Aside from that, It is difficult for me to position and hold a heavy drill steady to tap well by hand on a large number of holes. I can do it, but I later suffer elevated joint pain and muscle fatigue.

A tapping arm can be adjusted to balance the weight of the tooling providing far more stable and "weightless" tool positioning. They also absorb all the torque of deburring, chamfering, drilling, reaming and tapping. Their reach means you can't clamp a large piece and process multiple points without needing to reposition work.

I don't care about cool, I do projects that are heavily reliant on numerous tapped holes in 3/8 steel plates. They don't fit well on my drill press, or I'd consider a tapping head for it. I don't want to have to reposition and clamp heavy steel plates if I don't have to. Sometimes it's a case of work smarter not harder.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Not everyone is physically equal and able to perform that same tasks.
We weren't in any way impugning you. The discussion centred around several youtubers (ABOM from my perspective). Frankly ABOM uses tapping arm his as his newest expensive toy. It is not because he needs it, it is because he HAS it.

I am really sorry about the limitations that your disorder puts on you. I can more than empathize. My shoulders are bad enough tha I am going to have to automate my surface grinder very.soon.now. They cannot take the continuous repetative motion, so I grind very, very slowly, in short sessions.

I have a tapping head and it slower than than the cordless drill.
I have the size that ends at 1/2 " and I find it is helping me to avoid breaking small taps (I'm a terror on 1/4" NC taps) One day I'l vet some spiral flute taps and give a hand drill a go!

deleted_user

Super User
We weren't in any way impugning you. The discussion centred around several youtubers (ABOM from my perspective). Frankly ABOM uses tapping arm his as his newest expensive toy. It is not because he needs it, it is because he HAS it.

I am really sorry about the limitations that your disorder puts on you. I can more than empathize. My shoulders are bad enough tha I am going to have to automate my surface grinder very.soon.now. They cannot take the continuous repetative motion, so I grind very, very slowly, in short sessions.

I have the size that ends at 1/2 " and I find it is helping me to avoid breaking small taps (I'm a terror on 1/4" NC taps) One day I'l vet some spiral flute taps and give a hand drill a go!
I hear you, my shoulders, hips and knees are also bad. But it is my left arm that has become a real issue over the past two years of limit medical treatment. Some days I can barely lift it.

It was not you I was reminding of ableism by the way, but it is something that we all need to be mindful of prior to questioning why someone chooses to do things a certain way. I may be overly sensitive too because I get tired of being questioned by people saying "you look healthy as hell, why the cane, or why the temporary handicap parking permit"

deleted_user

Super User

Oh I forgot to add, is it a fully manual surface grinder? How would you automate it? And I assume we will get a nice thread on the process, please and thank you. That sounds fun.

I keep after my brother to add power feeds to our little mill for similar reasons.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was think of repurposing a 40$ 3DPrinter board and a few steppers to simply automate the back-and-forth on the SG. The Z feed (across) and the Y feed (down) can easily be managed with bad joints.

chip4charlie

At the other end of the "shill" spectrum is Marc L'Ecuyer from Quebec, die and toolmaker, worked for Canada's National Research Council, then taught machining for 25+ years at a Quebec college. As a beginner, I have found his videos on thatlazymachinist.com (and on YouTube) to be well laid out, informative, and funny. He doesn't monetize his YouTube videos, and all his drawings, etc. are free. Thank you, Marc!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Marc is the best! He's been ill over the last year, but is planning to make more videos in 2022...

Thank you sir

Forgive me for this, BUT this is where I have to call out ableism.

Not everyone is physically equal and able to perform that same tasks. I have a autoimmune disorder that attacks my connective tissues and muscles. I need to avoid repetitive stresses more than others or I risk a "flare-up" that triggers a more wide spread inflammatory response that attacks my internal organs requiring medical intervention. Aside from that, It is difficult for me to position and hold a heavy drill steady to tap well by hand on a large number of holes. I can do it, but I later suffer elevated joint pain and muscle fatigue.

A tapping arm can be adjusted to balance the weight of the tooling providing far more stable and "weightless" tool positioning. They also absorb all the torque of deburring, chamfering, drilling, reaming and tapping. Their reach means you can't clamp a large piece and process multiple points without needing to reposition work.

I don't care about cool, I do projects that are heavily reliant on numerous tapped holes in 3/8 steel plates. They don't fit well on my drill press, or I'd consider a tapping head for it. I don't want to have to reposition and clamp heavy steel plates if I don't have to. Sometimes it's a case of work smarter not harder.
I might suggest you next build using a cordless drill is a simplified tapping arm......New drill, couple of bolts, pc's of steel or aluminium, extended tapping holder and some blood sweat and choice words $500.00 and lifes good.

deleted_user

Super User
I might suggest you next build using a cordless drill is a simplified tapping arm......New drill, couple of bolts, pc's of steel or aluminium, extended tapping holder and some blood sweat and choice words $500.00 and lifes good.
I already have an idea to use an articulated arm that raises and lowers on a post aided by a reel type balance. I think we scrap materials I can make this for $250