• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Probably pushing the limits

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
The research agrees with the journey I took on this a few years back.... The trick is therein to find a straight GL4. I didn't have any luck at CDN Tire and the other retail haunts.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I rarely have any luck at CDN tire or the rest of the consumer drive retailers (you know, the lowly consumer, doesn't own a lathe, sits and watches sports and the Kardashians? :D ). but nowardays its easy to break free from big retail, temples to the common sku. Seems like there are many G4 options on amazon

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is one product that claims to be safe on brass gears. The company website lists several Calagary retailers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So, my colleague got back to me.

As usual in such matters, the answer is "It depends". LOL! That was always one of my own favorite answers!

Anyway, he says that you can't really go by the ratings that individual oil suppliers provide because they are not independently certified and are usually biased. Actual performance varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The best assurance one can reasonably accept is lubes sold by very large companies (with their own labs) certified for use in their relevant products.

The defining test procedure is established by the ASTM in D-130. But it costs money to buy the document and test samples. However, he says that it's easy to do yourself.

Decent copper is readily available in plain old water pipes and old pennies. Thin sheets can be made in an ordinary shop press. All you need is the oil, a polished copper plate with an freshly exposed surface (very fine polishing followed by degreasing to remove wax, oils, or grease) and an oven & thermometer. If you know you particular operating temperature you can also use that but be careful to compensate for your actual ambient temp VS your real maximum. The chart below (copied from the article below) can be used to compare results.

Screenshot_20211112-093648_Chrome.jpg

Anything with 2a or higher is bad. 1a or b are good.

He also suggested these web articles written by a fellow he knows who wrote them for an independent group whose work is focussed on lubrication.

My takeaway? For gear sets containing brass or bronze, buy a good GL1 or GL3 gear oil. GL4 is probably ok but only at low temp. Stay away from GL5. Be careful of low cost oils at places like Canadian Tire. Car and truck dealers are probably a better place to buy gear oil. Every 10°C increase in temp doubles the corrosion rate so keep your gear boxes cool and don't let them overheat.

Thanks to everyone for the opportunity to learn something. Anyone disagreeing is welcome to do so. But we will probably have to agree to disagree cuz I totally trust my colleague.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Here is one product that claims to be safe on brass gears. The company website lists several Calagary retailers.

Just picked up a quart of this stuff at the Parts Source. $26:eek:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Further to @Susquatch 's information:

M/T FLUID & GEAR OIL WEIGHT API CLASSIFICATION

Amsoil Long Life FGR 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Amsoil Severe Gr SVG 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Amsoil M/T Fluid MTF 5W-30 1A Light Orange
Amsoil MT & Gear MTG 75W-90 GL4 1B Dark Orange
Castrol Hypoy C 80W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Castrol SYNTEC 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Citgo Citgear Std XD 75W-90 GL4 1B Dark Orange
Delo Gear Lubric ESI 80W-90 GL5 2A Claret Red
Delo Trans Fluid ESI 50W 2A Claret Red
GM Synthetic Axle 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Lucas 75/90 Synthetic 75W-90 GL5 4B Graphite Blk
Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Mopar Synthetic w/Mopar LS additive 75W-90 GL5 4A Trans Black
Pennzoil Gearplus 80W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Pennzoil Synthetic 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Red Line MT-90 75W-90 GL4 1A Light Orange
Red Line NS Gear Oil 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Red Line 75W90 GL-5 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90 GL5 4A Trans Black
Torco SGO Synthetic w/Torco Type G LS add 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Valvoline High Perf 80W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange
Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 GL5 1B Dark Orange

You can see from the chart that there is a big difference in the oils and how they react to copper. Also remember - the temperature plays a key factor so some oils will be perfectly fine for the average Joe and the application they are used in.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Oil.JPG

This what I syringed out of my band saw gear box today. Doesn't look too healthy to me:oops:

Why the heck don't they put drain plugs in these things:(

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 18283

This what I syringed out of my band saw gear box today. Doesn't look too healthy to me:oops:

I agree. I wouldn't be happy with that either. But who knows, that bandsaw might just outlive you!

If you think that's bad, you should see my Bush-Hog. It's 8ft wide and prolly 1500 pounds. It has a 75hp two chamber Gearbox on it with......... NO F&]$#%g DRAIN!!! If you leave it outside (like everyone does), condensation driven by temperature cycles results in water in the gear oil. The only way to drain it is to flip it upside down! :mad::mad::mad:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
View attachment 18283

Hey Craig, that's ugly looking gear lube you removed, any evidence of brass/bronze filings?

I have a King Canada 4"x6" with very low mileage should really replace my gear lube as well. Are you pleased with using MotoMaster Extreme SAE 80W - 90 gear oil?

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, that's ugly looking gear lube you removed, any evidence of brass/bronze filings?

I have a King Canada 4"x6" with very low mileage should really replace my gear lube as well. Are you pleased with using MotoMaster Extreme SAE 80W - 90 gear oil?

No filings that I can see, just real sludgy and dark. Maybe some fine fine brass/bronze particles in it.

I'm using this https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil not the MotoMaster stuff.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks Craig, unsure who carries Red Line MTL 75W80 GL 4 Gear Oil in MJ although Peavey Mart might.

I got it at a PartSource store. That link I provided has a suppliers list, it will tell you if there are any suppliers near you.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I got it at a PartSource store. That link I provided has a suppliers list, it will tell you if there are any suppliers near you.

PartSource store closed out in MJ this past year for reason(s) unknown to me.

Perhaps Walley-Mart might carry it, need to look around some.

Last edited:
For the cut you are doing, you should use a 4/6 tooth or even coarse if you can get it. Watch for scraf build up in the teeth as it will jump the blade of the drive wheel, don't apply to much pressure for the same reason.

I regularly cut 12"x1" 6061 bar stock.

Best blades (custom made length) from Industrial Bandsaw Service in Mississauga. Great prices, high quality blades, well made.