• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Probably no suitable fix...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Top compound slide on a lathe that a corner of the dovetail is broken out. At each end of the compound is a screw that moves the gib one way or the other. The gib is also broke but the troubling part is the slide. I am having a hard time dreaming up a suitable way to fix it other than buy new slide. I kind of think it might be okay as it is as the screw just catches the corner of the gib anyhow?? But I always appreciate the wisdom I find on this forum. 20220520_105512.jpg 20220520_105435.jpg 16530664920011651532640280652011.jpg

gerritv

Gerrit
As unpleasant as it loooks I would call it cosmetic. Perhaps steel epoxy shaped appropriately if you need it to look better? Its a fairly delicate and exposed feature for CI.

Gerrit

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
as long as the female thread on the base is OK, the missing chunk is just cosmetic. The adjusting screw never bottoms out in the pocket. A few applications of JB Weld and a file is all it needs.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am of the same view as others. Most of the force of the screw will be in the threads and opposite the Gibb where the dovetail is intact.

However, I am a bit concerned about how and why it broke. This may be an important factor that affects its future vulnerability - if it happened once, it could happen again.

Otherwise, epoxy it up with devcon plastic steel or JB, smooth it out, and call it done.