Probably no suitable fix...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Top compound slide on a lathe that a corner of the dovetail is broken out. At each end of the compound is a screw that moves the gib one way or the other. The gib is also broke but the troubling part is the slide. I am having a hard time dreaming up a suitable way to fix it other than buy new slide. I kind of think it might be okay as it is as the screw just catches the corner of the gib anyhow?? But I always appreciate the wisdom I find on this forum. 20220520_105512.jpg 20220520_105435.jpg 16530664920011651532640280652011.jpg

gerritv

Gerrit
As unpleasant as it loooks I would call it cosmetic. Perhaps steel epoxy shaped appropriately if you need it to look better? Its a fairly delicate and exposed feature for CI.

Gerrit

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
as long as the female thread on the base is OK, the missing chunk is just cosmetic. The adjusting screw never bottoms out in the pocket. A few applications of JB Weld and a file is all it needs.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am of the same view as others. Most of the force of the screw will be in the threads and opposite the Gibb where the dovetail is intact.

However, I am a bit concerned about how and why it broke. This may be an important factor that affects its future vulnerability - if it happened once, it could happen again.

Otherwise, epoxy it up with devcon plastic steel or JB, smooth it out, and call it done.