• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

printing homes

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Have you seen the video on youtube by Colin furze, he’s built tunnels between his structures (because he could…)

https://youtube.com/@colinfurze
Oh yes I have seen all of Colin's tunnel videos.. I love his ambition and sense of fun but I dont have his cash flow from a youtube channel so I plan to do things differently. I plan to use the far easier and cheaper cut-and-cover method.

I'll excavate trenches 9' deep and use what's called a monopour combined footing and wall using ICF blocks with a 4" core. Then I'll pour and float the floor. Then I'll put up temporary shoring and lay amdeck or some similar insulated slab system as the roof. Then waterproof it with a spray type mastic, add an air gap membrane and backfill and cover with 14" of soil... voila no secret tunnels here folks.

Since I largely plan a slab on grade house, I plan to have a small full basement area for the mechanical system and small printmaking studio, with a secret entrance to the tunnel from the , which goes to the shop, the cheese cave, walk in cooler, walk in freezer and large storage area for dry goods and H2O stores.

I plan to have corridors wide enough to push a standard pallet thru. A phantom subterranean car lift will be installed in the shop to be able to take pallet loads to the basement where there will be an equipment vault, back up generator and battery bank for small solar array and wind turbines.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I’m looking forwards to when it becomes a buyers market, when people buy the land, and hire the builders. As opposed to the builder buying the land and the only option is to purchase from them.
yeah there are more small rural builders acting as developers building spec houses now... but you can still hire them if you build a relationship with them.

luckily I am qualified to act as my own general contractor and I have trade contacts all over the province... I just need the land, and my wife to retire.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
To answer @DPittman, this is in Steveston, Richmond, suburb of Vancouver in a desirable neighbourhood. $2.5M buys you 4 beds, 4 baths, 1973 ft2, 33 x 90 lot.
Your payments would be $16K a month. Going by the suggestion that 30% of your income max goes to accommodation then you should be earning $650K a year to afford that house. @whydontu what do those folks do for a living?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Your payments would be $16K a month. Going by the suggestion that 30% of your income max goes to accommodation then you should be earning $650K a year to afford that house. @whydontu what do those folks do for a living?
In my neighbourhood, you don’t ask…

Not many first time buyers here, mostly retirees downsizing from other areas, or established 30-ish couples with one or two kids. Lots of BMWs and Mercedes on the street. And no, not me. I drive a 2010 Toyota Matrix, and my wife has a 2003 Corolla. We just lucked out and got in before prices became stupid, and we each owned our own houses before we married so we could sell two to buy one.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
this is actually one of my biggest fears for humanity... so many fields have become so specialized that no one can fix anything for themselves.

if there was a real apocalyptic event, even on a small scale society wont recover. If someone wanted to really hurt society they could just destroy a dozen or so plants that make microprocessor chips.

anyway, pardon me while I update my secret bunker plans with the things I learned first hand the past week or so living in the country.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
one of my fav authors

I have never changed a diaper, but I can figure it out. using cloth.

I can definitely plan an invasion, I grew up on risk and paintball.

I can butcher a hog, but prefer not to slaughter it.

I graduated from power squadron, and used to sail so can easily conn a ship, but forget offshore navigation without GPS.

Design a building, easy peasy, been there done that.

No one will be reading my sonnets in a few hundreds years time.

Balance accounts, don't they do that themselves ;)

build a wall, retaining walls, wood frame walls, ICF walls, 2 storey walls... Check.

set a bone, at one time I wanted to be orthopaedic surgeon, who wants to break their arm and let me attempt to set it?

comfort the dying, I'd prefer not to and haven't had to yet. So no dying people.

take orders, not my forte... unless they orders make sense.

give orders, can do.

cooperate, can do... but I much prefer to act alone.

solve equations, yeah. I love excel but I have a couple of slide rules to take into the apocalypse.

analyze a new problem, made a living doing this.

pitch manure, done it, but arthritis says use mechanized

program a computer, nope, not really my jam.

cook a tasty meal, naturally because I like to eat.

fight efficiently, one of my fortes.

die gallantly, I'll pass thank you very much. I'd much prefer to cheat and eliminate my enemies stealthily without giving them the least chance of fighting back... this sortta harkens back to the planning an invasion thing.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
To answer @DPittman, this is in Steveston, Richmond, suburb of Vancouver in a desirable neighbourhood. $2.5M buys you 4 beds, 4 baths, 1973 ft2, 33 x 90 lot.
My grandparents had a nice house on Marine drive overlooking the ocean. Sold it in the mid 70's for under 75k. It would be 10m+ right now. We had a huge ranch house on 28th ave in Surrey with 3 acres, and sold it in 90 for about 150k ish. They moved it and put a bunch of townhouse there.....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
House #16 was on a duplex lot in west side (Kitsilano) in Vancouver. Paid $54k in 1975, sold it in 1983 for $130k. The duplex that is now on that lot is worth $1.6m (each side). It sounds like a huge amount of money, but it’s really not much more than I would have had if I put the $130k into decent-quality savings bonds.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think housing prices have gone bananas. My daughter just sold her tiny little starter wartime house for 550. This can't be sustained. There will be crash and it will be young people who get burned. It's just wrong on sooooo many levels.

Can you imagine an average house at 750. The real estate makes 50K on each sale for two weeks work! Ya, it's all whako.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I think housing prices have gone bananas. My daughter just sold her tiny little starter wartime house for 550. This can't be sustained. There will be crash and it will be young people who get burned. It's just wrong on sooooo many levels.

Can you imagine an average house at 750. The real estate makes 50K on each sale for two weeks work! Ya, it's all whako.
I wrote a long post in reply to this, based on the homebuying activity I've seen first hand by a group of investors.... but I deleted it because it could have been viewed as 'political'

Needless to say, IMO the housing crash will be life changing for so many people, triggering massive defaults, suicides, vastly increased homelessness, and ultimately unrest and economic and political instability

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

It is nuts. But we've been able to say its nuts for a long time. I remember in 2003 I guy I know (fairly well to do, owned a finance company so wasn't (or shouldn't) have been clueless around economics) was absolutely convinced prices had become so outrageous in Toronto he was going to cash out. Buy back in in the coming crash. He sold and rented.

At time, given he was credible and prices did same crazy, I wondered if he was right. Good think inertia kept me in place!

Detached houses have gone up about 250% since then. That's a heck of lot. You might counter that the DOW has gone up 267% however two things 1) You need a place to live so rent would have severely cut into the sell and buy stocks scenario (the benefit of the house isn't just appreciation, its also use), and 2) unless you are mortgage free, you're getting leverage with the house not available (to that extent and as inexpensively) in the shock market.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I really (really) wish we kept our 2bdr downtown condo when we bought the farm and moved out to the country. Didn't see this coming at all. But we were all in at that point

But is it sustainable? rungs on the ladder just keep getting farther and farther apart, and eventually people just won't be able to climb on.