Princess auto hydraulic press

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Ahh the power pack presses I have used were pretty slow, or at least I thought so, I didn't think you needed power hammer speed, just more than the ones I've used, but obviously that must be enough
I am looking for a fast return. easy feeding , also fairly fast. My fist project is to crush chips into compacted briquettes to be melted. I have ALOT of material to go through... I was thinking of making a vessel for the squish that is slightly tapered, for better release.

trevj

Ultra Member
I am looking for a fast return. easy feeding , also fairly fast. My fist project is to crush chips into compacted briquettes to be melted. I have ALOT of material to go through... I was thinking of making a vessel for the squish that is slightly tapered, for better release.
I wonder if a wood splitter could not be modified to good effect, as a briquette press. Could put a hopper on the top, and feed the chips in at the beginning of the stroke. They usually use a two stage pump, to get faster motion, until it requres pressure, so you could likely cycle it back and forth a couple times to compact the chips in place, then use the slower, higher pressure to push the mass through the far end of the tube used as the extrusion die.

trevj

Ultra Member
Problem i see in the last video, is that metal chips do not behave like wet vegetable slop, when under pressure.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Problem i see in the last video, is that metal chips do not behave like wet vegetable slop, when under pressure.
Well, First things first. In the spring if I am still interested.. the first step is to get the melting furnace. I want to try other things than just this... I would use a can with the top off, and compress as much as possible to see if too much sludge goes to the top... I have read that more air pockets (less dense).. is more oxidization. I have a lot on the go now to close before the spring... Meanwhile, I am adding to the pile of clean 6061 chips.....

Here is a question on the pour into a loaf... Is the poured aluminum in a loaf pretty much air free?

trevj

Ultra Member
Well, First things first. In the spring if I am still interested.. the first step is to get the melting furnace. I want to try other things than just this... I would use a can with the top off, and compress as much as possible to see if too much sludge goes to the top... I have read that more air pockets (less dense).. is more oxidization. I have a lot on the go now to close before the spring... Meanwhile, I am adding to the pile of clean 6061 chips.....

Here is a question on the pour into a loaf... Is the poured aluminum in a loaf pretty much air free?
It depends on the contamination level (oils and the like) as well as on the time it spends in a molten state. The more time it sits in the crucible molten, the more gasses it picks up, and the more porous the casting is.

There are means to degass the molten aluminum, either with a plunger and some solid chems, or by aerating it with a nitrogen wand.

Depends whether you intend to machine your results, or stack them for recycling.

In the latter case, no worries. In the former, start scrounging up copper wire now, not later. :)

Rough process the material however you must, then use those ingots to charge a crucible, and do a de-gas, plus add a little copper wire to the mix, to make the ingots resulting, much easier to machine.

If I had a LOT of chips, I would likely build an open hearth furnace, with a tap off the lower pirtion of the reservoir, to draw off straight molten metal as can.