Prime day deals!

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I agree. Do you have one of them?

Edit - The 1014 is a nice upgrade for the money. Buttons and controls are a good thing on an Oscilloscope, and it also has a signal generator built in.
Too many. A Siglent bench 2-channel, a couple of PC-based analyzers, a single channel pocket scope, a 4-channel pocket scope, a couple of iOS bluetooth ones, and a couple of the single-board $25 LCD ones. I sent my 1013D to @Johnwa to see if it’s any use for his applications.

I am an oscilloscope junkie. I keep on looking at the Fluke scopemeters, but they are crazy expensive. I miss my Tek analog scopes, but they’re just too big to fit my limited shop space. I almost bought one of the 1014D units, but after listening to me grumble about scopes SWMBO convinced me to buy something a bit more robust so I went with a Siglent SDS1102CML and I’m pleased with it.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered one (the 1014D). And the dummies book John suggested (used).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am an oscilloscope junkie.

Me too. I think I have 6.

I keep on looking at the Fluke scopemeters, but they are crazy expensive.

I got mine used in an e-bay auction. Love it, but can only use it plugged in. The rechargeable ni-cad pack is outdated and shot.

I miss my Tek analog scopes, but they’re just too big to fit my limited shop space.

I love my big clunky Tektronix Scopes. I have an electric shop on the mezzanine in my shop.

I almost bought one of the 1014D units, but after listening to me grumble about scopes SWMBO convinced me to buy something a bit more robust so I went with a Siglent SDS1102CML and I’m pleased with it.

Nice! I'm jealous!

I'll stop pestering @Johnwa about the 1014 since he has the 1013 now to play with.

I'm still thinking I'd like to try the 1014 just because it's too hard to believe. But if my wife leaned on me to get a Siglent SDS1102CML I'd fold like toilet paper and be on it yesterday.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I received the 1013 from @whydontu today. Canadapost was really quick. I think I’ve figured out how to use theUI. The manual is pretty brief and is in chinglish but it’s fairly straightforward. Now I have to feed it some real signals.
AFAIK the 1013 is essentially the same as the 1014 but absent the function generator.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Johnwa , @Janger , @kevin.decelles

Wow. I thought I was only bending johnwa's elbow!

For the record, I didn't recommend the dummies book, only letting @Johnwa know that one existed per his ask.

I did look at the index and thought it covered the bases.

I'll get one too so I can speak to it if you have questions. I taught university level electronics to non-electrical engineering students for a few years. I always believed the theory that the electrical guys got was a waste of time for the other disciplines who really just needed to understand basic electrical/electronics. I do love to help, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

One word of caution. Pay close attention to the warnings about not exceeding the input voltage limits of the scope. This mistake has killed more Scopes than any other. If the included Probes have a 10x switch, leave them set to 10x. And don't be tempted to measure 240V and above systems without making a divider circuit or better yet buying some 100x Probes.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is a 100x probe on Amazon. But they are dirt cheap on Ali if you can wait.

P4100 100X Oscilloscope Clip Probe with Accessory Kit High Voltage 2KV 100MHz Bandwidth https://a.co/d/a5wPcRn

With this, you can check higher voltage stuff. As always, be extra careful around 240V and up circuits. You will need two of these if you want to use both channels on the scope.

FYI - I bought the Kindle version of the book and read a bit of it. Not bad. Her bucket brigade analogy for current flow is easier to follow than the water hose. Almost nothing a beginner will do, can't be explained with a water hose analogy.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
but after listening to me grumble about scopes SWMBO convinced me to buy something a bit more robust so I went with a Siglent SDS1102CML and I’m pleased with it.

Did you get the "CML+" version or the older CML?

PS - I like the Siglent brand. I've had a few over the years and either sold them at a heavily discounted price or donated them to worthy causes.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Did you get the "CML+" version or the older CML?

PS - I like the Siglent brand. I've had a few over the years and either sold them at a heavily discounted price or donated them to worthy causes.
I have the CML+ version. $444 off Amazon. From various review sources Siglent seemed to have a slight edge in quality over Rigol, and my experience with Hantek hasn’t been good. Amazon has tons of other offshore brands, but I was ordered to ignore my inherent cheapness and buy something of definable quality.

And I wanted something that didn’t use batteries. There’s never a time when I need a scope that I’m not within 6 feet of a wall outlet. I don’t do site work any more, and if I did I still have a few small USB-charged pocket scopes.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Amazon has tons of other offshore brands, but I was ordered to ignore my inherent cheapness and buy something of definable quality.

Jezz, sounds quite distinctly like an opportunity to buy a Tektronix......

I think your inherent cheapness still has a solid grip on your wallet.

This from a guy who owns several teks but not one of them was new when I bought them. They are awesome scopes of very definable quality though.......

Edit - some guys on here collect motorcycles, some collect cars, and some even collect airplanes. I think I collect Oscilloscopes.

We all collect machinery and tools.

trevj

Ultra Member
Pretty much any time the subject of Amazon comes up, I find myself repeating the same phrase.

"Jeff Bezos, has lots of money already, he doesn't need mine!"

I'm kinda surprised, really, that the delivery outfits, be they Postal or Private, have not put the screws to Amazon, as far as their rates go.