Prime day deals!

Proxule

Ultra Member
Howdy folks.

What is on everyone prime day deals list ?

I see some goodies... but nothing major. Any one willing to share ?

Happy buying!

neer724

I was hoping to find a deal on a set of indexable carbide lathe tools for the ML7 - slim pickings....better selection and prices on AliExpress for the same things - just have to wait a few weeks....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Considering how many ads I got, and the fact that I maintain a sizeable wish list, you would think they would know what I want and make some of them available.

Nothing. Just a bunch of useless stuff I have no interest in.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
It would mostly be looking at sub MHz signals. RC servo Signals, IOT sensors etc. I’m currently using a $25 single trace ”toy”. It’s ok but the single trace is limiting and I’d describe the UI as trial and error.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Consider this instead on Ali.

C$207.91 51%OFF | FNIRSI-1014D Digital Oscilloscope 2 In 1 Dual Channel Input Signal Generator 100MHz* 2 Ana-log Bandwidth 1GSa/s Sampling Rate

It's not a highly rated device but it's better than the amazon unit by the same maker and your stated intent isn't too rigorous.

You will have to spend big bucks if you want a relatively good scope. So this is prolly a wiser way to start. If you enjoy it and find it useful, then you can shop for a better scope - prolly used to keep the price down.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The prime day price was $180 so close to the aliexpress price.

The 1014 is at $207 on Ali today only. Prolly trying to compete with Amazon. Never gunna beat that for an entry level Oscilloscope with a basic signal generator too.

FNIRSI-1014D Digital Oscilloscope 2 In 1 Dual Channel Input Signal Generator 100MHz* 2 Ana-log Bandwidth 1GSa/s Sampling Rate

As I said before, the reviews are not great but that's because the reviews are comparing it to a $5k lab scope. For what it is, I think its a good buy. Even comes with 10x Probes. Says it is 100MHz but 10MHz is more realistic. No worries about klugie on screen buttons

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I don’t know $200 bucks for some magic smoke you can’t even use or at least for me.
Is there a “Scope’s for Dummies” book or vid out there?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don’t know $200 bucks for some magic smoke you can’t even use or at least for me.
Is there a “Scope’s for Dummies” book or vid out there?

I think that's exactly why I suggest something like this. Anybody who can make parts on a mill or a lathe can learn basic electronics using an oscilloscope.

At first blush, they are complicated instruments. Perhaps even intimidating. But like other complicated things, a smart fellow can learn to use one and learn some basic electronics.

I don't advocate a scope like this for guys who are already proficient. These characters should be looking for something much more costly.

In a way, the scope is your book!

But yes, there are lots of beginner videos and books out there.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Fundamentally, an Oscilloscope allows you to see how voltage varies with time. It does that by creating a graph on its screen with voltage on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal axis. Both the voltage and time intervals of the graph are adjustable so you can see what a slow low frequency signal like your household voltage looks like, or the higher frequency music being played on your speakers, or any other voltage that varies over time.

A multi meter will tell you that your 120V wall outlet produces an AC Voltage of 110Volts, but an Oscilloscope will show you that it is really producing a 60Hz 170V sinusoidal voltage. A Scope can also show noise on the voltage caused by various devices that are plugged into it. You can't see that or even know about it without an Oscilloscope.

In general, I have found that the "for dummies" books like you mention are actually quite good at getting going on just about any subject they cover.

Electronics For Dummies https://a.co/d/6oIqalT

It would certainly be a start. I have not read this one so your mileage might vary.

Edit - the book does have introductory Oscilloscope content.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The prime day price was $180 so close to the aliexpress price.

The bigger 1014D unit with buttons is now 200 with free shipping. A dual trace 100MHz digital storage scope plus a signal generator for $200...... Hard to believe.....

C$201.16 52%OFF | FNIRSI-1014D Digital Oscilloscope 2 In 1 Dual Channel Input Signal Generator 100MHz* 2 Ana-log Bandwidth 1GSa/s Sampling Rate

Even if you derate it to 50MHz (or even 10) it's still amazing. I almost want to get one just to see it first hand with my own eyes!

Here is a photo of one of my Scopes (a Fluke) looking at the power input to a spindle motor. Sorry about the glare.

I think this is pretty representative of what the 1014 would do, but the display on the 1014 would be much better than the old screen technology on the Fluke.

20230713_110942.jpg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A nice feature of the 1013 & 1014 is the ability to save screenshots as .JPG files.

I agree. Do you have one of them?

Edit - The 1014 is a nice upgrade for the money. Buttons and controls are a good thing on an Oscilloscope, and it also has a signal generator built in.

Last edited: