Precision Mathews TL Lathe

A

Andy Gawlak

Good afternoon. I am looking to speak with some one who owns a 1440, 1640, or 1660 TL Lathe. Please let me know if you can help.
Thank you.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure there’s a lot of folks here with one due to the costs
of getting one into Canada.
You might try asking on the Hobby Machinist forum as there are many PM lathe owners there and a dedicated sub-forum for Precion Matthews.

A

Andy Gawlak

Not sure there’s a lot of folks here with one due to the costs
of getting one into Canada.
You might try asking on the Hobby Machinist forum as there are many PM lathe owners there and a dedicated sub-forum for Precion Matthews.
I have done that as well David. Thanks.

Do your research, Grizzly, PM, King, BB all draw from the same supplier. It comes down to level of options they select. In some cases the value is not from the one you suspect, in other cases its a false value.

Do you research.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Do your research, Grizzly, PM, King, BB all draw from the same supplier. It comes down to level of options they select. In some cases the value is not from the one you suspect, in other cases its a false value.

Do you research.
well I have to hand it to Andy, he is trying to do his research... and I bet that what he found out to date is that out of the choices you listed PM is the best.

Then ran up against the downfall of PM's single showroom for the entire USA. Sure it saves overhead and allows for better pricing, but for people with a need to see with their own eyes and feel with their own hands it is a huge barrier to purchasing their products.

That said Andy, I've seen a couple in person and they're a fine lathe.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You could also price the offerings at Modern Tool - I think the costs would be similar and that would be in Canada.

A number of members own this lathe in various ages. I have an older one. I'm not sure what a new one costs - maybe $8K?

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
You could also price the offerings at Modern Tool - I think the costs would be similar and that would be in Canada.

A number of members own this lathe in various ages. I have an older one. I'm not sure what a new one costs - maybe $8K?
From a quote I received late March 2022, it was $8,900, pick up available in Newmarket-Ont, or else shipping is extra.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
PM's site shows the 1440TL at $17,000 USD, compare that to the MODERN at $8,900 CDN.

It just depends on your wants/needs as to which way to go. A side by side comparison of the two machines doing the same cuts on the same material would be really interesting to see.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think the deal with PM's (what they call ultraprecision lathes) 1440TL, 1640TL etc. are 100% Taiwan. vs Modern C0636A is China. Not necessarily a bad thing. The prices converge much closer if you select a Chinese PM or Taiwanese Modern. BTW the C0636A is a D1-5 spindle which gives it the bigger bore for its size. There are a few lathes that went this route (not surprisingly, probably same lineage)

Speaking of big bore 14", this PM 2022 model has some interesting features. (Suspect also Chinese machine because they usually say Taiwan even if partial components). I've heard sometimes PM requests certain factory packages. And sometimes the equivalent machine is available elsewhere under a different paint scheme. Modern Calgary has gotten more selective about hobbyist size Taiwan machines because their prices have zoomed up. So they have to decide what will move vs what will sit on the floor.

A

Andy Gawlak

well I have to hand it to Andy, he is trying to do his research... and I bet that what he found out to date is that out of the choices you listed PM is the best.

Then ran up against the downfall of PM's single showroom for the entire USA. Sure it saves overhead and allows for better pricing, but for people with a need to see with their own eyes and feel with their own hands it is a huge barrier to purchasing their products.

That said Andy, I've seen a couple in person and they're a fine lathe.
Thanks. I appreciate your imput.