• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Precision Level

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a "J Rabone & Sons Made in England" 8" precision machinist level that I acquired dirty and with a broken vial. I bought a new vial and installed it, cleaned and repainted the base and it is now functional however, I think I should have bought a less precise vial for my needs as it is very sensitive. The vial was advertised as having .02mm/m sensitivity and I think I would prefer the alternative .05mm/m sensitivity vial instead. It is just too sensitive for me.

I'm thinking I'm going to redo it with the less sensitive vial but thought I would see if it is saleable as is before I do that. 20230129_112317.jpg 20230129_113131.jpg Maybe a trade with someone? I'm thinking $80 for it.

It is pictured next to a 6" Starrett level. I'm not actually sure how the length is designated...overall length or the length of the cylinder? I used the overall lengths in my measurements.

Last edited:

Ian Moss

I have no foreseeable use for one, but I want it anyway. Did you have anything particular you would like to see in trade?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have no foreseeable use for one, but I want it anyway. Did you have anything particular you would like to see in trade?
Hmnn I gotta think on that one....I love tooling and measuring devices but I'm fairly well equipped...any suggestions?

Ian Moss

I will go wander around my shop and see what I can find for trading fodder.....how about two or three small PCD inserts for the occasional time you need to turn down a carbide shaft?

Attachments

• IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    983.9 KB · Views: 5

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I will go wander around my shop and see what I can find for trading fodder.....how about two or three small PCD inserts for the occasional time you need to turn down a carbide shaft?
Interesting but I have no tool holder for such insert and only have a 10" lathe. I don't know where carbide awaiting would be used?
Any good parting tool holders, milling clamps, holders? I'm thinking...

Ian Moss

Looking....looking...A small English made clamp on vise? choice of two. One of steel with rotating base, the other aluminum (looks like it was intended to hold two pieces at 90 deg). Are you in Warner Alberta? For long enough to remember Marvin Conrad?
Any brilliant grandchildren that need a 1/8 or 1/4 size Suzuki violin?

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    918.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    933.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Neat vises but I'll pass on them thanks. Yes I've been in Warner long enough to remember Marvin Conrad! But I'm still not old enough to have grandchildren that would need a violin (well I might technically be old enough but I didn't start on the family early enough for that to happen:eek:)

Ian Moss

Marvin an Judy are in Sherwood Park where I live. Doing ok physically, but Marvin is having pretty serious memory issues. Hope to talk him into going for an afternoon skiing at one of the local hills one of these days. I will keep my eyes open for some more trading fodder. Does your mill have an R8 spindle?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Marvin an Judy are in Sherwood Park where I live. Doing ok physically, but Marvin is having pretty serious memory issues. Hope to talk him into going for an afternoon skiing at one of the local hills one of these days. I will keep my eyes open for some more trading fodder. Does your mill have an R8 spindle?
Cool, I sort of lost track of Marvin. My parents knew him better than I, he's older than me and his kids were quite a bit younger than me. He probably won't remember me personally but he'll likely remember my family name.
Yes my mill has an R8 spindle.