• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Power Feed

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Geoff you work fast! In glad the install was an easy one for you. Post a picture of the boring bar you used. I was just saying. At yesterday's meet up that the busy bee brazed on carbide boring bar's don't work for anything. It is possible in not using them right?

Geoff

Hey, I am using the same style of boring bars from BusyBee. I think I bought them from KMS though but they are essentially the same. The only thing that I do to them is give them a quick hone using a diamond stone. I also use a CCMT insert style boring bar and custom ground HSS boring bars. But I have had really good results using the cheap brazed on carbide boring bars. I actually use them fairly frequently. Here are some pics of the boring bar setup (nothing special) as well as the bushing that I made. Hopefully you can see the finish of the bore from the picture. My finish cut was .006 (.012 Total).

Peter, there is a pic of the power feed attached to the end cap of the mill table (picture #3). In the picture, I only have 1 screw installed but there are 2 screws. I ended up drilling and tapping two new holes for M6 cap screws. I wasn't overly thrilled with how things were fitting with the existing holes that were slightly out of alignment. You can probably see in that picture that 2 of the mounting holes have been enlarged. I did that to compensate for the misalignment of the mounting holes on the mill table end cap. As mentioned, I drilled two new holes and they line up much better! Very happy with the fit now and it works very good!

Attachments

• Photo 1-24-2016, 12 04 13 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-24-2016, 12 04 13 PM.jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo 1-24-2016, 12 04 27 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-24-2016, 12 04 27 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • Photo 1-24-2016, 12 06 10 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-24-2016, 12 06 10 PM.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo 1-24-2016, 12 06 51 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-24-2016, 12 06 51 PM.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo 1-24-2016, 12 07 19 PM.jpg
    Photo 1-24-2016, 12 07 19 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Geoff

Well I got a chance to run that AR400 through the mill today using the power feed. Incredible difference! I'm not sure how I have gone so long without any power feed on the mill. I can dial my feeds and speeds in perfectly since I have a 3 phase motor on my mill with a VFD. I can tweek the RPM and the power feed until I get a smooth cut with a very nice chip load. Needless to say i'm very happy with the unit Alex.

On a separate note, this AR400 is so strange to mill. It is magnetized so the chip that comes off is like a spiky waterfall in slow motion...lol... I couldn't attach the video so I put it on Dropbox. Weird!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/656d5x88skfguka/Video 1-24-2016, 3 15 16 PM.mov?dl=0

Cheers!