• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Post meetup, AC motors versus DC motors on a lathe

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Some of us were talking about using DC motors with a speed controller on a small lathe versus AC motors with VFD. Quinn Dunki, a youtube machinist (and Canadian, too - username Blondihacks) did a very good video on 'Import Lathe Buying Guide' that includes a great discussion on AC versus DC motors.

Very good video, I've came to the many of the same conclusions/opinions now that I've owned a very similar lathe for several years. Seeing this video earlier on in the game would have been good for me. I did however learn more about AC and DC motors! Thanks for the link.

I put a Baldor DC motor and quality controller on my knee mill and it works just great. I installed a cheap chinese tach with pickup off the spindle pulley so I know what rpm it’s running at. I put an old treadmill DC motor on a bench drill press, along with cheap chinese rectifier and voltage controller, and it works well also. No room for a tach pickup so I’m installing a voltmeter to give me a rough idea of rpm — I could check it against a handheld portable tach, and see how well that idea works. Really nice to have when running a larger diameter hole saw.

Dabbler,
Thanks for posting. Another excellent video from Quinn. Perfect balance of detail while covering all the important points.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the most haves and deal breakers are exactly what I have dealt with over the last 40 years. Very good information.

Back